31

(Much longer chapter, read at your own pace!)

Out of the three alchemists that had entered the Father's base at the moment in which the sun lowered slightly in the sky and tainted the city in a deepened yellow hue, neither of them were surprised that the former Dwarf had allowed them to walk freely out of his base.

The chimeras were silenced, due to some unspoken command Father had sent their way, as (Y/n), Edward, and Hohenheim creeped down the blood-caked hall toward the barred gate that led to the outside world. None of them spoke during the entire walk. Hohenheim lingered beside his son, though he remained a step or two behind him as their feet padded against the stone floor. (Y/n) remained several paces ahead of them both, shoulders tense and boots rather loud as they stomped their way toward the exit.

Ed noticed that the Mustang hadn't bothered to spare him a passing glance when they'd been dismissed bellicosely. He wanted to convince himself that she was simply caught up in her emotions, for she had just directly declared war on a Homunculus that already planned to bring the world to the brink of destruction under his control. She was anxious, he wanted to tell himself. She probably just needs a minute to mull over what she'd just done.

That was partially true, but hell, he couldn't deny the fact that he knew the overbearing reason as to why she didn't look at him. There was no tricking himself into believing otherwise, when the boy could feel tension in the way she walked right past him and ignored his offering hand back when they'd left Father's presence. (Y/n) was specifically angry with him.

As best friends, they'd had their fair share of quarrels and disputes. He recalled the countless times when she'd gotten on his nerves and pushed him to shout at her to tell her to leave him alone, as well as the times she'd call him a prick for doing something she didn't like. As two kids who spent an insanely large amount of time together and cared for each other in a way that was exclusive to only their relationship, they were bound to argue and bicker from time to time. That's what they had been used to doing, before shit hit the fan. There was never a moment when they weren't insulting, shoving, or scowling at each other- but it was in an endearing, playful, jesting manner. They'd never truly held animosity toward each other, for they knew each other too well to truly get mad at the other. Even when they'd argued prior to kissing the previous night, they'd been annoyed, irritated with the lingering tension that had yet to be addressed by either of them until Edward gathered the bravery to pull her lips into his.

Edward desperately wished that the tension in the air was similar to that circumstance, but it wasn't. (Y/n) had only ignored him once before, and that was when they'd visited Winry in Rush Valley. He still had no idea what that situation had been about, but at least then, she hadn't completely blocked him out. She'd been distant, and short with him, but she had still spoken to him. This was nothing at all like that. (Y/n) was deliberately choosing not to look at the blonde, while in Rush Valley, it seemed that she had been forcing herself not to do so. Edward had never been on this end of (Y/n)'s emotions. He couldn't say he enjoyed it much, but it had only been a few minutes. He'd wait to confirm his already resolute suspicion until he actively tried to engage in a conversation with her.

The gate door was pushed open and slammed against the brick wall as (Y/n) marched into the alley way. She squinted her eyes as the sun greeted her impolitely, and a deep frown settled onto her face as she turned her back away from the beam. The last time her face had basked in the sun had been when she and Edward were in Resembool. Somehow, that felt like ages ago.

"I can't... decide whether that was wise of you or not," she heard Hohenheim's hesitant voice speak. He sounded as if he wanted to be amused, yet he treaded lightly, unsure of how (Y/n) would respond to his comment. Perhaps she'd chew him out for a second time, just like she had done with Father.