Prologue: Packing Up

This chapter has been edited as of 3/14/23

To say that Ariel Rosemary witnessed an eventful semester would be an understatement.

Personally it was more of an emotional rollercoaster with all the supervillains, superheroes, her memory problems... she was glad it was over for a time, considering next semester would be even more chaotic.

Probably because she'd be attending Bridgeton high school at that point, her first time attending high school, any kind of school well... ever.

She wasn't saying that because of amnesia... something in Ari told her she hadn't ever gone to school... Because I thought it was bad, that's why I never went, but now I know it's not bad and I'm gonna try it.

But that wasn't going to happen for a while.

"Hey." She looked up from her suitcase and saw Hiro standing by the stairs, it made her smile seeing him. Out of everything that happened since getting amnesia, her brother and newfound friends and family were the best things to happen.

"You all packed up?" He asked her.

"Not yet." Ari chuckled. "I'm just taking a last look at these before I go." In her hands were paper letters that had elegant handwriting written on each one, followed by some cartoony doodles.

Curious, Hiro walked over to see what she was talking about. "Oh, the letters Juniper sends you." He crossed his arms. "Seriously? You're not packing because of those?"

Ari huffed in offense. "I'll have you know they make me feel better after a bad day!" She crossed her arms, turning away from him. "Besides, I'm not going to be able to write to her during the trip, I'll miss talking to her."

"Oh." As much as Hiro grumbled and complained about her friendship with the crime-dancer, he at least understood that they were genuine friends. "Her handwriting reminds me of Fred's, neat cursive and all." He picked up one of the letters, which seemed to have been sent after the monster-Knox-gala incident.

"I didn't know Fred knew cursive." Ari blinked in surprise.

Neither did he at first. "He can be fancy at writing when he wants to be." Hiro explained. "You mind if I read this?" He was kind of curious about what they wrote to each other.

Ari shrugged. "Eh sure, at least you asked."

So Hiro flipped the letter over and started reading.

Dear Ari,

So I saw on the news that there was a monster attack at a gala you said you were going to and OH MY GOSH ARE YOU OKAY?! I REALLY HOPE YOU'RE OKAY, MONSTER ATTACKS ARE REALLY SCARY.

Not that I've ever experienced one... but I know they're really scary, I feel bad for the poor guy who got mutated : ( hope he gets cured soon.

It must be awful... having no control over yourself and when you do gain control you just don't feel right anymore or you still feel pain from what happened...

Okay that sounds dark but I get bored here and I think too much, okay?

Anyways I hope you're doing well and despite the monster attack the gala was fine, though you really do not have a good track record with parties, huh?

Hope to hear from you soon!

From your really bored friend,

Juniper

"Wow, she's dramatic." He couldn't help but comment.

To his surprise, even Ari agreed. "Tell me about it, she can be more dramatic than a rom-com!"