Chapter 2: Breakfast

This chapter has been edited as of 3/19/23

As much as Hiro wanted to talk with his cousins after dinner, the flight to New York combined with the jet lag he was powering through made him crash to sleep once he hit the covers.

Him and Ari had the guest room to themselves, Cass deciding to share a room with her sister while they were visiting.

"Do all houses nowadays have guest rooms?" Ari questioned as she let out a big yawn. "My old house never had one..."

"It's a thing for some of them." He answered, and both of them had fallen asleep after that.

When Hiro woke, the sunlight was a shade of orange, barely peeking through the windows. Geez, I woke up early. He realized.

He considered going back to sleep, but then recalled he could barely fall back asleep whenever he had a case of the early bird, Baymax could help him go back to sleep at times but the healthcare companion wasn't here.

He hoped everyone back home was doing alright with his absence, crime had slowed down since the star incident spooked the entire city, but there could always be a new threat lurking the corner... ready to strike when he was away.

Then shook that thought off the moment it entered his head. If anything bad happens, Globby will probably help. The glob monster helped before, and Hiro had a feeling he'd help again if the city was in big trouble.

His stomach grumbled, and Hiro figured he should eat since he was up. It's only six anyway... some people wake up at this hour so it's not like I'm super early!

Gently nudging Ari off of him as he got up, Hiro went to the kitchen and grabbed one of the fruits he saw in the fridge. Normally he'd have candy as an early morning snack but this was his cousin's house and he wanted to be nice today.

"Does Ari know about your secret identity?"

Hiro yelped and swore as he turned around to see Peni across the room. "Language." She deadpanned.

"Do you have to sneak up on me this early in the morning?" He questioned. "Also why are you up?"

"Yes and I was doing early morning patrol." Peni explained without missing a beat. "So are you going to answer my question?"

Hiro sighed. "Yes, but it's not like I told her, one of my friends who I will not name spilled the beans." He wouldn't admit it, but he still was a bit annoyed at Fred for outing his secret identity in front of Ari of all people.

At least Richardson forgot, but it wasn't like they were going to zap Ari with the energy orb in hopes she'd forget too, she still had amnesia!

"Would you have told her if your friend didn't tell her?" Peni wondered as she grabbed an apple from the fridge.

Hiro thought about it for a bit. "Nope." He decided. "I didn't want to force her to keep it a secret, I haven't even told Aunt Cass! But at least she helps cover for me now."

"I get it, Peter and I debate if we should tell Aunt May, I'd only tell her because if... something bad happens to either of us, she'd want to know why." Peni glanced down at her food. "Like when I went missing for a few days."

The robotics genius winced. "Well that was because of interdimensional nonsense... which I'm still wrapping my head around."

During one of their "secret nightly superhero talks" that they had every now and then, Peni told him about the time she went to another dimension and met a bunch of alternate versions of Spiderman.