Chapter 4 - Giving Up Control

Giving Veronica her schedule was a load off. Getting a lunch packed by Erin was amazing. She found herself enjoying her labs in a way she hadn't been able to for months. Even the most annoying of the other grad students couldn't get under her skin. Casey checking in by text to make sure she was getting home okay was a little weird. It did provide a nice feeling of security though. She'd always envied the girls in undergrad who'd had a parent they could call to make their walk home a little safer.

She checked back in with Veronica when she got home. When Veronica praised her for doing a good job at school Briana nearly cried again. Being released from the responsibility of homework for the evening was a surprising weight off. Jane enlisted her to help with dinner, which turned into a silly catch up session on each other's lives. Suzie took over her evening, and the two of them cackled at a terrible horror movie.

By the time Erin came to collect Briana to send her to bed, she was glowing. She realized she'd been avoiding everyone, too worried about the rent and food to enjoy her friends. Everyone had been imposing on her all day. Far from being stifled, she felt as free as she'd ever been. Erin set out a pair of teddy bear pullups for her, and even that made putting them on easier to swallow. It was less than ten minutes from her head hitting the pillow to blissful sleep.

The next morning she woke to Erin's gentle voice. "Good morning Briana. Time to get up."

"Ugh, what time is it?" Briana whined in protest. It felt early, way too early.

"Time to get up. Come on, let's get your vitals."

Briana sat up with a great groan, obediently presenting her arm for Erin to check her blood pressure. "Isn't it bad to do this so early?"

"Actually, one of the best times to take someone's BP is right after they've woken up and urinated." Erin said. "Or in your case, urinated and woken up."

Briana blushed slowly as she processed the sentence. Now that she was paying attention, she could feel the bloated pullup on her rear, as full as yesterday. Erin took Briana's hand and led her to Veronica's office. Briana blinked sleepily at Veronica.

"Is she wet?" Veronica asked.

"Yeah, looks about the same as yesterday." Erin pulled Briana's pajama pants down, eliciting a squeak from Briana.

"I see." Veronica said, looking the sodden pullup over. Briana's face flamed again, the embarrassment was waking her up and making her want to crawl under the covers at the same time. "Go ahead and sit down, Briana."

"I'll get the chair wet again." Briana protested.

"Briana." Veronica looked up into Briana's eyes. "Sit please."

Briana pouted and sat. The sun was barely up, it was way too early to be awake, especially on a Saturday.

"Now, how do you feel this morning?"

"Sleepy." Briana said sourly.

"And a little bratty too?" Veronica smirked. "That's a good sign actually. It means you're letting go a little, letting yourself be vulnerable."

"Not that it helped." Briana sighed, pointing to her crotch.

"You have to expect that this won't help right away. In fact, it will quite likely get worse before it gets better."

"Worse? What worse could happen than waking up wet every morning?" Briana gave Veronica a horrified look.

"You may see other symptoms." Veronica said. "You've been under a lot of stress for more than a month, and never really had a solid foundation before that. I want you to know that that's natural, and it doesn't mean you should give up. You've had months of the problem, and only a day of the cure."