10

I'm the first one to arrive at the gate, which usually isn't like me. Ever since I figured out that Kakashi will always be late, I never really rush myself to be on time. Yet today I'm filled with anxious excitement; whenever I'm anxious about an event, I can't help but get there way earlier than necessary.

Second to arrive is Sakura, which isn't peculiar. Sakura is usually the first one ready, followed by Naruto then finally Kakashi.

"Good morning, Sakura," I say with a smile.

She yawns. "Good morning. How long have you been ready?"

I shrug. "Not too long."

Naruto grins. "I'm so excited, I feel like I haven't been on a mission forever."

Sakura and I glare at him. "You went on the mission with Shikamaru to get Sasuke, remember? The one no one told me about," I grumble.

Naruto's face turns pink. "Oh, right."

"Good morning everyone," Kakashi says upon arrival. His nose was in a book, he barely even looks up to greet us.

"Let's go! What are we waiting for?" Naruto exclaims. Kakashi sighs. "Lead the way, Naruto."

Naruto grins and begins running, leading us out of the village. It's a quiet morning, no sound but the birds chirping. The first handful of miles outside of the Leaf are somewhat boring, nothing but grass and greenery. Typically, I've never really ran into anyone this close to the village, so the first few hours of the mission are peaceful. I could sense other animals waking up—rabbits and such like.

I wonder what the Waterfalls Village is like. It has to be gorgeous, I can imagine several waterfalls and streams that snake along the Village. Perhaps a grand bridge or two ran across the water.

The sun shines from it's highest peak now, indicating that it is noon. Kakashi suggests that we take a break, much to me and Naruto's disapproval.

"But, Sensei! We just started," Naruto groans.

I sigh. "I want to keep going too, but we can't tire our bodies if we are to have a run in with Orochimaru."

"Exactly," Kakashi says with a nod. "Naruto, sit down." Naruto rolls his eyes but his mood quickly changes when Kakashi takes out some food.

"Eat quickly, I want to reach a small village to spend the night in before the sun goes down," Kakashi asks. We nod and begin eating. Kakashi opens up his book again and I look at Sakura, the two of us rolling our eyes.

I volunteer to look around the perimeter, to ensure that we aren't being watched. We're probably safe, but it never hurts to be extra cautious. Besides, I'm already done eating and I'm tired of listening to Sakura's and Naruto's banter.

I walk along an imaginary box that surrounds my team, about ten meters from the center. Sure enough we're fine, but it gave me something to do. I don't like sitting around and feeling useless when I know there are people being tortured in the Village we are heading towards. I just need something to distract me, and it was nice to be alone for a few minutes.

"We're good," I say upon my return.

"Obviously," Naruto mumbles. I roll my eyes. Despite Naruto constantly getting on my nerves, I know he has a goal that drove him—similar to me—so in a way I look up to him. I admire his ambition. Similarly, I looked up to Sasuke, until I realized Sasuke was driven by murder.