5

I decided to take a morning walk in the forest, right outside the walls of the Leaf, to clear my mind. I felt so groggy when I woke up. I hate to admit it, but I'm really stressed out. I hate not knowing how to go about something, and I have no idea how to help Sasuke. I keep reminding myself that he could care less about me, but I still feel obligated to help him.

Ever since Sakura told me about Sasuke's curse mark in the hospital, I've been thinking about Isamu. How he changed so drastically within a month. In truth, I'm scared. I grit my teeth angrily, I feel so weak and useless. I'm terrified that Sasuke will end up like Isamu. I want to say it's not my fault if he does, but I can't. I can't let Orochimaru win like that.

I used to take walks often, since I enjoy being alone, but I've been so obsessed with training ever since the chunin exams. I suppose the run in with my brother had forced my mind to reset. My goal to return to my village is, once again, upmost important.

I guess with my newfound training habits, I had temporarily forgotten about my plant collection. To be honest, I don't really do anything but eat, sleep, and train. And that was before the exams—now that they're over, I can remember what other things I enjoy. I'm thankful of Shikamaru for reminding me, though I wish he had done so sooner. All the plants in my apartment are beginning to wilt from lack of care. I'm sure some extra water and attention will allow them to stand tall and proud again. But just in case, I'm here to find some new flowers. Not that they can be easily replaced, of course.

I was also on the lookout for some herbs, hoping I could brew some tea; perhaps some chamomile or buckwheat. I gather a few bushels, placing them in the wooden basket I carry, and head back towards my home.

I see Shikamaru up ahead. It's pretty common for me to see him among other ninja, but he caught my eye. He's wearing a green Chunin vest!

"Shikamaru!" I shout. He turns towards me and smiles slightly as he walks over with his hands in his pockets.

"Oh, hey, Rei," he says, standing in front of me. I was quiet for a moment. First off, what the hell! This is so unfair! He forfeited and gets to be chunin? Second of all, he looks really good in it. The vest highlights his athletic build and I do my best to ensure I keep eye contact with him. I blush from embarrassment and pray that he never finds out.

"You're a Chunin," I say.

"Oh, yeah," he says, rubbing the back of his head.

I didn't want to be mean, even though I am astonished. "Well, congrats. How does it feel?"

He sighs. "Like a drag. I literally forfeited, why the hell did they promote me?"

I snicker. "I'm not sure, but be a little grateful."

"Jealous?" He says with a smirk.

I roll my eyes. "If they had gotten to my round, I'm sure I would've been right there with you," I joke.

"Sure," he says, grinning. He takes a deep breath and says, "But in all actuality, I'm feeling happy. And lucky."

"It must've been a lot of luck."

"You know what? I think I'd be a better chunin than you." 

"Is that so?"

"Well I'm winning so far."

I roll my eyes. "You just wait and see."