2

Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke returned to the village shortly after us. I know this because I ran into Sakura in the medical wing.

"Rei! I'm so glad you're okay. Where's Shikamaru?" She asks.

"He's fine. He's just resting in one of the rooms. How are you guys?"

"We're alive, I suppose." She looks around before turning back to me. "Something weird happened to Sasuke," she says quietly.

"What?" I ask.

"This black pattern seemed to sort of grow across his skin. He was fighting Gaara when it happened." I could feel my heart sink to my stomach as realization hits me like a truck. Sasuke's doomed, just like Isamu. I ball my fists tightly to calm myself; I don't want her to know just yet.

"That's weird," I respond, attempting to seem as calm and perplexed as possible. She nods. "He's in the room over there if you wanna go talk to him."

I nod and head towards where she pointed. I open the door, Sasuke was propped up on a bed, playing with a kunai knife.

"How's it going?" I ask.

"I'm fine," he says sharply. He obviously didn't want to speak with me, but I don't care.

"A little moody, huh?" He doesn't respond. "Sakura told me a black pattern grew across your body while you were fighting."

He scoffs. "No secret is safe with her."

"She's just looking out for you. I'm sure you're aware it's a curse mark then, right?" I ask.

He grimaces. "How do you know what that is?"

"I'm from the Sound Village," I say.

His eyes widen. "What are you doing here then?"

I roll my eyes. "Relax. I left when I was young because Orochimaru took over my village. He chose people to receive curse marks, to grow his army. I left before I got mine."

"I got it while in the forest," he mumbles.

"From Orochimaru?" He nods.

"Kakashi already knows about it, he says I'm fine."

"If it's growing, it's not fine. You need to tell him, or I will."

He glares at me. "You will not tell him."

"Look, Orochimaru is great at manipulating and deceiving people to get what he wants. Don't let yourself become one of his victims."

"I'll be fine. Besides, why do you care so much?"

"I already lost my brother to him, I don't want to lose anyone else," I say reluctantly.

"You sound like Sakura."

My face burns pink. "I'm just making sure you don't fall into his trap."

"Yeah, yeah."

I inhale sharply, trying to control my anger. "Sakura really cares about you; don't use her." I really wanted to add, if you keep this shit up, someday she's the only one that will. But I keep my mouth shut, for obvious reasons.

Sasuke can really irritate me sometimes. I do care about him—he's part of my squad—but sometimes he can be such an asshole. I sigh and shut Sasuke's door behind me.

"I was wondering if you were gonna show up," Shikamaru says as I enter his hospital room. He was sitting up against the pillow, a glass of water in his hand.

I grin. "You really thought I'd let you forget how you passed out on me?"

"And here I thought you cared about me."