8

I was restless that night. I wasn't sure if it was due to my long nap or the loud thoughts in my head about Sasuke and Orochimaru—probably a mixture of both.

Reluctantly, I got out of bed around seven in the morning and decided to take a jog to clear my thoughts.

"I should've known it wouldn't work," I mutter to myself as I continue to think about Orochimaru. I sigh, taking a break from running to clear my thoughts. Which is ironic, because that's exactly why I went on a run in the first place. I just wanted my mind to be empty; I'm tired of thinking. Does that make sense?

"You're thinking about Orochimaru, aren't you?" A voice says behind me, causing me to jump from surprise. Ninja fail.

"That's about all I do these days," I mumble, facing Kakashi. Why is he even here?

He shakes his head. "Sasuke's gone, you know as well as I do that he's not coming back."

My Sensei's words hit me hard, like I was just hit by a brick wall. He was giving up that easily? But the rational side of me agreed, Sasuke clearly made up his mind.

"I know his leaving hurt you deeper than others because of your personal connections with Orochimaru, but you have to put it behind you."

I scoff. "I can't just forget about my village."

Kakashi sighs. "I'm not asking that. More like, put the issue aside temporarily. It's time to focus on you and grow your skills."

He's got a point. I mean, how else will I defeat Orochimaru? I always think about other people but it's time I think about myself.

"Okay."

He nods in approval, putting a kind hand on my shoulder. "Good. I'd suggest researching your kekkei genkai and developing that," he says with a closed eyed smile.

"You're not following me, are you?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"I've been asked to keep an eye on you. To make sure—"

"—that I'm not gonna end up like Sasuke?" I say, interrupting him. I laugh bitterly. "Aren't there bigger things to be worried about?"

Kakashi sighs. "Just, focus on your kekkei genkai. Forget about Sasuke," he says then disappears.

I scoff. Like I'd ever stoop to Sasuke's level. But at the same time, I feel a bit relieved. Its as if I have a new purpose, a purpose meant to fulfill me—it's refreshing.

"Rei!" Tenten says, stopping me on my way back to my home. I grin and wave at her.

"Are you okay? I haven't talked to you since, well, you know."

"Thanks, Tenten, but I'm okay now, seriously."

"I'm glad," She smiles. "I've gotta go train, but I'll catch you later?"

"Definitely!"

I'm glad that she and I have gotten closer. It was nice having a girl around that understood me. No offense to Sakura—I'd do almost anything for her—but sometimes her Sasuke obsession was a bit much for me. But who am I to talk? I've probably been just as crazy as her lately.

"Rei! Lady Tsunade is looking for you!" A voice says behind me.

"Oh, thanks, Lee," I respond.

He has crutches and bandages wrapped around his foot. I feel bad that he had to retrieve me, but it's good to see him walking around again. I've always admired Lee's resistant positivity, even though it can sometimes be annoying.