12

I jump awake, my body sticky from sweat. My sudden movement makes my vision black and blurry, so I take a moment to adjust to consciousness. I have limited movement, my arm is attached to an IV and my abdomen is bandaged tightly.

I gasp, clutching my stomach. I suppose my brain just woke up and registered the pain that I'm in. The pain is piercing, but not as throbbing as it was when I was originally struck.

"Don't move too much," someone says.

"Shikamaru?" I say softly, almost whispering.

"I thought I told you to be safe," he says, smiling.

I blush from embarrassment, the events prior to my incident flooding back into my memory. I can't believe I let myself lose, I let my whole team down. I didn't even get to explore the cave. And worse yet, I failed as a ninja. I was blinded by my emotions, I failed to strike when necessary and it lead to my injury.

"I'm sorry," I murmur.

He frowns. "I'm only kidding."

I wince as I push myself back, trying to sit up straighter. Shikamaru jumps up and places a pillow behind my back.

"Thanks," I say, smiling. I should be nicer, he did stay here for me.

"How are you feeling?" He asks.

I shake my head. "I feel like I've been stabbed in the stomach."

He laughs. "You were, pretty badly too. You were poisoned, you know."

I nod my head. "I figured. I should've known, since he was with Kabuto."

"I already know you're blaming yourself, but please don't," Shikamaru says, squeezing my hand.

"Sure," I respond sarcastically. He rolls his eyes.

"I'm going to get Lady Tsunade, okay?" I nod. "I'm really glad you're safe," he whispers.

I look out the window. It's day time, the sun high in the sky. I wonder how long I've been in the hospital. I can't believe Shikamaru was here when I woke up, I hope he hasn't been here the whole entire time. I smile to myself, I didn't realize how much I missed him.

Lady Tsunade knocks on the door and walks in, Shikamaru behind her.

"You can wait outside, Shikamaru," she commands. Shikamaru grumbles but reluctantly leaves.

Lady Tsunade smiles at me. "That boy has been here every day you've been unconscious."

I blush. "Really?"

She nods. "You gave us all quite a scare. Kabuto's poison is very advanced, you were out for a whole week."

My eyes widen. "A week?"

She laughs. "Don't worry about it, you're safe now. Sakura helped me a lot with your operation."

I smile. That's good, I could tell she was upset when she wasn't sure what to do.

"Anyway, I want to keep you here one more night to make sure you don't experience any tremors or fevers. The poison should be gone, but that wound will take a long time to heal. I want you resting for two weeks."

"Two weeks? Lady Tsunade! I-"

"This is not up for discussion," she scowls. "Kakashi agrees, we think it's best for you to take a break. You've been working nonstop ever since Sasuke left."

I sigh, there's no arguing with her. She is the Hokage after all. "Yes ma'am."

She nods. "Good. I'll let Shikamaru back in. I'm sure your teammates will want to meet with you to debrief."