chapter ten

People are willing to consider Harry is not Harry, but asking them to believe Voldemort has returned (again) proves to be a bit much. Especially since the Golden Boy himself denies Voldemort's resurrection. Luna and Draco are only able to convince two people of both the imposter Harry and Voldemort's return:

Pansy and Blaise.

Together, they make an odd team. Ginny, who Luna thought would be joining their group, denied their invitation. "I don't want anything to do with Harry right now," she said, in the mournful way only a dumped ex-girlfriend can.

Neville, who Luna was also convinced would be with them, stubbornly denies all rumors surrounding Voldemort and Harry. He is loyal, too loyal, to the Harry that is not Harry. Normally, Luna could appreciate Hufflepuff traits, but at that moment she could not.

Blaise, Pansy, Draco, and Luna. An odd bunch, an alliance many never saw coming, but there nonetheless.

They spend every free period they share huddled in the corner of the library, researching ways to seperate Harry's soul from Jackson's and Voldy's (Harry had found the time to fill them in on that but of knowledge) and plotting ways to get people to believe in the Truth of their situation.

Blaise tells the group he is making progress on something he is researching independently. He is yet to share it with them, though, claiming he "doesn't want to get their hopes up."

Things are considerably hard for Draco during this time. He, more than anything, misses Harry. Sometimes, Harry slips him letters, all written in wobbly structures and sloppy composure, or he pulls Draco aside for small talks. He updates him on Voldemort's current state (it has not changed yet; he is as weak as ever) and plans (if they exist, Harry doesn't know of them; Jackson keeps the messages he is sending and receiving from the other Voldemort a secret) and exchange sets of loving words. At those times, Draco tries to convince himself that these small moments are enough. Even if they fail completely at getting Harry back completely, it is enough.

(He is lying)

But even with these small exchanges, Draco misses Harry deeply. He yearns for more, but there is no hope in sight for him receiving it.

It does not help that he and Harry are no longer on speaking terms; Draco had stormed off after Harry suggested suicide to kill off the remaining horocrux. "Look," he had said, "I'm essentially a burden with Jackson fighting me like this. I'm more helpful to Voldemort than you all. Jackson's been able to keep talking up plans with the other Voldy, and me being at Hogwarts gives them access to more information than I'd prefer. If I'm killed off, then I'd be taking them with me. Voldemort's also too weak to create more horocruxes, I'm surprised he was able to make the most recent one at all, and he'll he relatively easy to kill once found. I'd say it's the best route."

Draco had felt rage flood his system then. "You did not fight a war just to die!" he had yelled. "Everyone who died didn't die for you to just kill yourself. You deserve so much more than that." His voice is quiet at the last sentence; it is barely a breath.

Harry still refused to understand, he is putting everyone else before himself again (curse his blasted hero complex) and Draco cannot get him to comprehend that with Harry's death he would be killing off a part of Draco, too (and Luna, but it is not known so it is not said).

Draco eventually stormed off; too pissed at Harry, too pissed at the circumstances, too pissed at the world.

And, to make matters worse, Voldemort's return sparked the return of something else; the nightmares. After the war, they had been rampant (he was not the only one) but they had chilled out somewhat by the time school started up again. Now, he is startled up, waking drenched in sweat in ungodly hours of the night, and frequently finds himself rubbing his forearm where the dark mark, though faded, sits.

It is a grounding feeling because altogether it is undeniably there, it is also undeniably cold. He has not been called in so very long, the only thing keeping his nightmares stowed away in the "irrational fears" part of his brain. Draco is glad it had gone cold.

He is so very glad indeed.

¶∆¶

Tom is leaning into Jackson's side, trying to keep warm. He is so very cold, all the time; his bones and  body too weak to contain much heat. Jackson is glad for the contact. He is glad for Tom's existance.

Jackson is so utterly entranced by Tom Riddle; hanging onto his every word and move and order. He would do anything for him; keeping him warm by cuddles is just one of many examples.

(He is so utterly in love, but Tom will not, perhaps can not, return it. Jackson does not care, however, because that is the beauty of love; the blindness.)

"It will all be worth it, Tom," Jackson is reassuring, rubbing his hand gently along Tom's arm in a soothing motion. "Out of everyone, I am glad it is you I am to spend eternity with—"

"LA LA LA LA!"

Jackson's head snaps toward Harry's corner of the dreamscape (of nowhere) and glares deeply. "As I was saying, Tom—"

"LA LA LALA LA-FUCKING-LA!"

Jackson growls. "You imbecile child! Can you stay quiet for one second?"

"You see, I could!" Harry amends, a smile stretched across his features (he takes every opportunity he can to smile, but they don't come easy nowdays; he spends his nights mourning the countless lives lost), "But that just wouldn't be any fun, would it? And I think it's incredibly unfair you get to be with the guy you love when I don't get to. I'm taking my newfound free time to be a little shit and fuck with you!"

Some things, Harry knows, never change.