[27]

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Lark asked as Paul pulled the key from the ignition, killing the truck's engine as they idled outside the Cullen house.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Paul asked her in response, raising an eyebrow as he studied the house before him, and Lark nodded.

"Come on, Paul," she insisted, her excitement growing. "It's a half vampire, half human baby. These aren't even written in the stories! It's like our own little legend. You can't tell me you don't want to meet her. Besides, you know you're also here on Pack business, so you have to go inside. Sam's orders."

"As much as I hate to admit it, you're absolutely right." he said, pushing the truck door open as he hopped onto the driveway. "I've gotta see it for myself."

Lark crossed the truck to meet Paul as they began to walk towards the front door where Anastasia waited for them, Lark's hand finding her way into his while they walked. As they grew closer to the young vampire in front of them, Lark could see her nose wrinkle just the slightest bit at what she knew to be Paul's werewolf smell, and he tensed slightly next to her as he began to feel the presence of the vampires around him. Even though he'd known Anastasia his entire life, nature was attempting to turn the two supernatural beings against each other, and had nearly succeeded the night before during their fight.

"You made it," Anastasia said with a smile as she pushed the front door open for them. "Paul, sorry I threw you into a tree last night."

"Sorry I tried to rip your head off," Paul grumbled softly.

"All water under the bridge, from what I hear." Ana said as she led them upstairs.

Waiting at the top of the stairs for them was Jacob, who watched them with his arms crossed over his chest. Anastasia waited with Lark while Paul stepped ahead, standing face to face with his brother for the first time since Jacob had decided to leave the Pack, along with Seth and Leah. As the baby had proven itself not to be a threat to the populations of Forks and La Push, as well as Jacob's imprint, Sam and Jacob had agreed to reinstate the treaty, as well as a truce between the two wolf packs, with Paul attending as Sam's third.

Paul extended a hand to Jacob, who extended his own in return without a word. Lark watched as the two boys shook hands before Paul pulled his brother in for a hug, clapping him on the back. Lark smiled at the two boys in front of her before they pulled away, and Jacob jerked his head back in the direction of Carlisle's office, where the others were waiting.

"Ready to meet her?" Jacob asked, a small smile forming on his face.

"It is safe for her, right?" Paul asked, and Jacob nodded.

"Alicia was here this morning and everything went well." he confirmed. "She's also eaten already, so she shouldn't be hungry." he added in an attempt to lighten the mood.

"We're ready," Lark said, nearly bouncing up and down with excitement.

Lark had to restrain herself from running ahead as Jacob led them across the living room to the office, and slowly pushed open the door to reveal the others inside. Directly inside, Emmett sat spinning around on Carlisle's desk chair while Carlisle and Esme sat on the loveseat in his office, across from Jasper, who sat in a reading chair. Edward stood near the window cradling a tiny figure in his arms, and Alice and Rosalie were nowhere to be found, presumably hunting after the night before. 

Edward turned to face them as the newcomers walked into the room, taking  a couple slow steps towards them so as not to disrupt the sleeping figure in his arms. Lark looked down, beaming as she caught her first glimpse of the baby. While Renesmee looked just like her mother, she shared the same ethereal beauty that the entire Cullen family shared, despite none of them having any of the same DNA. It was the most beautiful child Lark had ever laid eyes on.