[25]

Lark pulled into the driveway of the Black residence, smiling in relief as she noticed Leo and Alicia's cars both already parked, alerting her that they were already inside along with Billy and Sue. While she'd never spent much time with Jacob's father, aside from the council meeting weeks before and seeing him off for the odd fishing trip he'd take with her father and the rest of their friends, when Sue had suggested the girls come with her to keep him company for dinner that night, Lark could hardly say no.

In reality, the girls were all aware that Jacob, Seth, and Leah planned to trick Sam and the rest of his pack that night so the Cullens could get away to hunt, unscathed. It pained Lark not being able to tell Paul the truth, but if Bella was going to have her best chance, Carlisle needed to be fed and at his best strength, and there was no way Paul could've gotten around either the pack telepathy or any of Sam's orders as alpha. So, she had baked a pie for dessert, agreeing to bake a second one that Paul could eat all on his own, and had accepted the invitation to Sue's dinner party, keeping Billy company for the evening.

Lark knocked twice on the door, and it opened a moment later to reveal Sue Clearwater, welcoming Lark in with a warm smile.

"Glad you could join us," Sue said, stepping aside to let Lark into the Black house, and gesturing down to the cherry pie in Lark's hands. "That looks delicious."

"Thank you," Lark said, setting the pie on the table with the rest of the food. "Old Hudson family recipe."

"You made it!" Leo exclaimed with a smile.

"Come take a seat," Billy said from where he sat at the table, Leonora and Alicia on either side of him. "We're just about ready to eat."

Lark set her bag down next to her chair on the right of Alicia, taking a seat as Sue passed her the bowl of mashed potatoes. She took the bowl with a gracious smile, piling some onto her plate before passing the bowl to Alli.

"So Larkin," Billy said, "I trust your family's all settled into Forks okay over the past few months?"

"It's been great," Lark assured him, nodding. "Dad loves being back home, and the change of scenery hasn't been too bad."

"And how's his book going?" he asked. "Werewolves, yes?"

"Werewolves." she confirmed, "On a purely hypothetical basis, of course." she said with a wink, both of them knowing all too well that her father was blissfully unaware of the truth about the Cullens or the pack. "Actually, Billy, I do have one question for you." Lark continued on. "When I was a child, my mother used to tell me this story of a massive wolf that saved her and her sister from a bear in the mountains back when she was in college, up in Montana. Are there others like the pack here that serve as protectors?"

"The Quileute tribe has always been a small people," Billy explained. "But, over the years, people have left the reservation to travel, to go elsewhere. Our magic only awakens with the presence of Cold Ones, so if they're around, it's highly likely someone with the gene could shift. As it happens, I do know of a small group that lives in the area, patrolling mountains and protecting hikers. It's far too easy to get lost on trails, which can make for a horrendous situation."

Lark nodded, unable to help the excited feeling in her chest. Her entire life, she'd asked her mother for that story, to hear of her mother's brush with something that was out of this world. One of the stories that fueled her passion for research and storytelling. And it was true. The entire thing had been true.

And if that had been true, what other legends out there held truth to their stories, rather than simply imagination?

"And we're thankful for the protectors we have." Sue added, raising a glass lightly, though Lark knew that the Clearwater woman was all too aware of her other two children's whereabouts that evening protecting the Cullens while her youngest daughter sat across the table, smiling and acting as if nothing was wrong.