[14]

"Looking for something?" Diane asked as she entered the kitchen to find Lark staring intently into the fridge, her eyes scanning over its contents.

"Do we have mustard?" Lark asked her mother, peeking out of the fridge and turning her gaze to the woman.

Diane stood behind Lark, peering into the refrigerator before leaning forward and picking up the yellow squeeze bottle.

"Right in front of your eyes, dear." Diane said with a grin, passing it to Lark.

"Thanks," she said, turning back to the sandwiches she had been making, and Diane eyed the open picnic basket sitting on the kitchen table.

"Any fun plans today?" she mused, eyeing her daughter suspiciously.

"Paul and I are having a picnic." Lark explained, spreading the mustard onto the ham sandwiches and putting them into ziplock bags. "And then we're going cliff diving."

"You really like this boy, don't you?" Diane asked her. "From the little bit we saw of him at the memorial, he seems nice."

"Yeah, he's... something." Lark said, shaking her head and closing the picnic basket, her eyes landing on the pile of mail Tristan had brought in earlier that morning, especially on a tiny card laying at the top of the pile addressed to the Hudson family.

Isabella Marie Swan
and
Edward Anthony Masen Cullen

Together with their families
request the honor of your presence
at the celebration of their marriage

Saturday, the thirteenth of August,
two thousand and six
five o'clock in the evening

420 Woodcroft Ave
Forks, WA

Lark picked up the invitation, studying it with a small smile, even though she had been the one to address them all and send each of them out. She was proud of the work she and Alicia had done to create them, and loved the simple, elegant design on them. Though she hadn't known Bella very long, she was happy for her, after seeing how happy she and Edward seemed to be around each other in the few instances they had all been together.

"I should get going." Lark said, shutting the picnic basket and giving her mother a small hug before lifting it up. "Bye Mom."

"Have fun," Diane said as Lark left the house, getting into her Jeep and setting the basket in the passenger seat next to her.

Lark drove the short distance to La Push with her window down, relishing the warm summer air. Weather in Forks was always hit or miss, sunny or rainy, but that day was bright and warm, perfect for the occasion. The birds were chirping, and she was hit by the sweet smell of the evergreens in the breeze as she drove past the forested area.

By the time she drove up to the cliffside where they were going to have their picnic, she found Paul already waiting for her in the grassy area. He smiled as she arrived, parking her car next to his truck, and she grabbed the picnic blanket and basket, hopping onto the gravel road.

"There she is!" Paul announced as she walked over to him, setting down the basket.

"Hi," she said, with a smile, spreading out the blanket and taking a seat as Paul opened the picnic basket.

"Let's see what we have here..." he said, rummaging through the basket. "ham?"

Lark nodded in confirmation. "Two for you because I know you have quite the appetite."

"And Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles..." he continued, his smile growing.

"The superior chip," Lark confirmed.