[1]

2006

"Here we are." Diane announced to Larkin with a cheery tone as they pulled into the driveway of the two-story house. "Home, sweet home."

Lark angled her head to look out the window at the grayish-blue house before she quickly opened the door, eager to finally be out of the car after the past week her and her mother had spent on the road. The Hudson family had taken advantage of the need for a cross-country road trip, stopping anywhere and everywhere along the way to see the sights. Of course, this meant the usual journey that should only take three or four days resulted in taking them just under a week. A quick trip in New York City to see Times Square and hiking in Montana along the same trail her mother claimed to be rescued on all those years ago to name just a few, sending postcards to Larkin's brother back in Boston every chance they got.

A loud beeping sounded from behind Lark, and the sixteen-year-old startled and turned to see her father pulling in behind their car with the large moving van, honking the horn enthusiastically. Marcus Hudson hadn't lived in Forks since he graduated high school and moved to Massachusetts to pursue his writing career, and he'd hardly visited since. Meanwhile, Lark had only ever visited the small town in Washington once when she was very young, and didn't have much recollection of the experience. But, being in a new place so full of the legends she'd been surrounded with as a child made her heart soar, and she couldn't help the exhilarated feeling that shot through her body.

"Welcome home!" he exclaimed to the two Hudson women, who had already begun to unload the boxes they'd managed to stuff inside the gray Nissan. Diane crossed over to where Marcus was climbing down from the moving vehicle, and feigned giving her husband a tiny kiss on the lips so she could pass the heavy box she carried into his hands.

"Thank you, dear," she said with a sly grin, blowing him a kiss.

Lark carried her boxes through the door of the new house, glancing around at the empty interior. Wooden floors made up all except for the tile flooring of the kitchen, and the walls were covered with a beige paint. For now, it was bare, though Lark suspected that before long her mother would have the walls covered in both pictures of the family, as well as paintings depicting old scenes from Greek mythology, Diane's favorite subject.

Lark set down the box she carried in the empty living room before turning and exiting the house to see a new group of people gathered outside, three very large-looking boys who couldn't be much older than her helping her father unload boxes and furniture from the trunk.

"Lark!" Marcus exclaimed, waving the girl over to introduce the boys. "Lark, this is Jacob Black, my friend Billy's son, and his friends Embry and Quil. Boys, this is my daughter Larkin."

"Nice to meet you," she said with a friendly smile, almost having to crane her neck to look up at their tall stature.

"You too," Jacob said before his eyes wandered back to Marcus, and he gestured to the couch sitting on the edge of the van. "where would you like the couch, boss?"

"Just inside to the right in the living room is fine." Marcus said, and Jacob and Embry each took a side of the couch, lifting it off the van and carrying it inside. "Thanks, boys!" he called after them.

"And here are our others." Marcus mused as a blue Jeep pulled into the driveway and parked next to the van.

Two nearly identical-looking men emerged from the front seats of the car, while a woman and a girl appearing similar to Lark's age climbed out from the back. The men crossed over to Marcus, pulling him into a bear hug with shouts of excitement and welcome.

"Welcome home, Hudson." one of the men greeted Lark's father, and the sixteen year old girl looked over to see the girl standing behind them looking at her father with excitement, a book clutched in her hands.

"Lark!" Marcus called, gesturing for the girl to join them. "This is Charlie and Richie Swan. We used to cause some trouble back in the day, along with Jacob's father. Gentlemen, this is Larkin. Diane's inside, starting to get some things unpacked, and our son Tristan's back in Massachusetts. He's attending college in Boston."

"We've heard so much about you." Richie said with a kind smile, gesturing for the other two women to join them. "We haven't seen you since you were about three. My God, you kids have grown up. This is my wife Elizabeth and my daughter Alicia, who, actually Marcus, is a big fan of yours."

"Hi," Alicia said to Marcus with a beaming smile. "I'm such a big fan of your books."

"Thank you," Marcus said, grinning. "I trust your father told you we're here so I can write a new one?"

She nodded enthusiastically. "He sure did! I hope you don't mind, but... would you sign my copy of The Reckoning?"

"Of course," he said, taking the book from her and grabbing a pen from the driver's side of the moving van.

Marcus scribbled his signature on the front page of the book, along with a tiny message. He finally returned, handing the girl her book back. She thanked him profusely before returning the book to the back seat of the car, and came back to where the adults had begun discussing the long drive the Hudsons had faced from Massachusetts to Washington.

"There she is!" a voice called, and Lark turned to see Embry leaving the house with Jacob and Quil behind him. He approached Alicia with a smile, leaning down and giving the girl a kiss hello. "Lark, I see you've met my girlfriend."

"I have," Lark said, nodding. "so, where do you guys all live?"

"Not very far." Alicia informed the girl. "My parents and I just live a couple blocks away, and my uncle Charlie and cousin Bella just down the street from there."

"We're on the Quileute reservation." Jacob said, gesturing down the road. "Your dad said you passed through there on the drive?"

"The place with the beach, right?" she asked, and they all nodded.

"That's the one." Quil confirmed.

"You'll get to see it later tonight." Jacob said. "My father's throwing a big welcome home party, to celebrate that your dad's back in Forks. He's invited pretty much everyone we know. There, you'll get to meet the whole gang."

"It's completely chaotic." Embry said with a sly grin. "You'll love it."