[20]

Lark stepped out of her Jeep and shut the door, crossing the lawn and knocking on the front door of the Clearwater residence. She waited, tapping her foot impatiently as Leo finally opened the door with a smile, gesturing behind her to welcome Lark into her home.

"Here she is!" Leo announced. "Boy, do we have much to discuss."

"We sure do." Lark said, following the girl into the house and into the living room where Alicia was already perched on the couch, sitting cross-legged and watching the girls with a grin.

"So a little birdie told me that Paul told you about imprinting." Alicia beamed.

"Does that little birdie answer to Embry?" Lark asked, shaking her head with a smirk as she took a seat next to her.

"He does." Alicia confirmed. "So how do you feel? It's a lot to take in, I know."

"It's a lot." Lark repeated. "A lifetime full of Paul?" Lark giggled.

"It's a tough job, but someone's gotta take one for the team." Leo teased.

"Wait, so Alli you said you know." Lark pointed out. "Does that mean you and Embry...?"

"Are imprinted?" she asked, and Lark nodded. "Yes. That's why he and I are so close. Once the initial shock of it wore off, it was easy. It's easy to fall in love with someone when you know their genes are tethered to you forever. About half the pack's imprinted."

"Who else is?" Lark asked.

"Me and Embry, you and Paul, Sam and his fiancée Emily, Quil and Emily's niece Claire-" Alicia began.

"And me and Jared." Leo blurted, causing Lark's eyes to widen in surprise.

"You and Jared?" Lark asked, and Leo nodded.

"I know, I know, it's weird that we're not together." she said. "It's just not what I need him to be. I don't do dating, I never have. Before Sam imprinted on Emily, he used to date Leah. They were together for two years, completely in love. They were so happy and then... he dumped her for our cousin. He couldn't control it, and he feels horrible about it, but it really messed with Leah and caused some tension in our family. And Leah knows there's nothing she can do about it because Sam imprinted. I know Jared would never hurt me, but it terrifies me that love can do something like that, you know? Maybe one day we'll be something more, but right now we're friends. And that's all I really need him to be."

"Well, that's the best part about it." Alicia said. "There's no pressure." she clapped her hands together. "Okay Lark. Next stop on the supernatural train. There's someone you have to meet."

"Who's that?" Lark asked.

"Come on." Alicia said, standing up and grabbing her car keys. "We'll explain in the car."

Lark quickly followed the girls to the car, climbing into the backseat and buckling herself into the middle. She watched the two girls intently as Alicia backed out of the driveway, waiting until she was on the main road before she began to speak.

"Okay, so Paul told you the stories about the newborn vampires in Seattle, right?" Alicia asked, and Lark nodded. "Well, as you might recall, my sister Ana was one of the ones that went missing, and, to public knowledge, she was never found. Long story short, she was turned. When she learned the truth about the army forming to fight the Cullens, she left and came back here. They've been hiding her ever since."

"So your sister's..." Lark trailed off.

"A vampire." Alicia finished, turning onto a side road that led out of town, empty save for a couple deer crossing the heavily forested street.

Alicia drove another few miles down the road until they came to a dead end that led into the forest beyond. She put the Ford into park, shutting it off and the hum of the engine instantly ceased, leaving the girls in silence with only the sounds of the crickets and birds in the surrounding woods.

"Alright Lark," Alicia said, opening her door and stepping out of the car, "come meet my sister."

Lark followed cautiously, looking around for any signs of their new visitor, but all she could see around her were Alicia and Leo. Suddenly, a small chuckle sounded from above them, and Alicia lifted her flashlight, shining it into the nearest tree and Lark finally caught sight of the marble skin and bright white teeth of the girl's smile.

"Come on down," Alicia said, "we don't bite."

The girl shrugged, hopping down from the tree and falling the fifteen foot drop to the ground, landing gracefully on her feet and walking over to join the girls. "I do."

As she pulled Alicia and Leo each into a hug, Lark couldn't help but stare at the girl from the missing posters in awe, her jaw threatening to drop at any moment. While she was still the same smiling girl from the photographs that Lark vaguely remembered from spending time at the beach together when they were much younger, Anastasia Swan now had a sort of ethereal glow to her, similar to the rest of the Cullen family, and where her eyes in the picture had been much darker, they now glowed a soft golden hue. She was absolutely striking, as the Cold Ones of legend were known to be.

"You must be Lark." she said, pulling the girl into a hug, and even through her clothes Lark could feel the ice radiating from beneath her steely skin. "I'm Ana."

"H-hi." Lark stammered, and the girl chuckled softly. "Wow, I have so many questions."

"Told you," Leo said with a smirk.

"What made you decide to come back here?" Lark asked. "From all I've read, vampires are supposed to have some kind of insatiable thirst when they're first turned. Why is it we haven't heard about anyone around here going missing?"

"When I was first turned," she began to explain, "we weren't told what we were being created for. All we knew was that we were taking down another coven. The woman in charge, Victoria, was after Bella. So, one day, they were passing around one of her sweaters so everyone could follow her scent. As a vampire, I have a gift called psychometry. If I touch something, I can sometimes see small memories associated with that object. As soon as I touched it, I knew it belonged to my cousin, and then I put everything together. Why we were created, who we were fighting, so I left. I found my way back to Forks. Embry's the one who found me lurking near my house, and he tried to chase me out of town. Edward and Emmett found me, and Edward managed to convince Embry that, even though I was now something he despised, I could still be useful. As for the no incidents, I'm one of the lucky ones. I was gifted with some really good self control, and switching to the animal diet wasn't too difficult for me."

"Animal diet?" Lark asked.

"My eyes weren't always this color." she said with a small chuckle. "When we first turn, they're red. If you choose to stay on a diet of feeding off humans, they'll stay that way forever. If you choose to feed on animals instead, they'll alternate between gold and slowly transition from brown to black, depending on how badly you need to feed. That's why all the Cullens also have golden eyes."

"I still can't believe this is happening." Lark said. "I've read so much about vampires over the years, but this... wow."

Ana smiled. "It's nice to meet you, Lark. I'm sure we'll cross paths again soon."