[2]

"Alright ladies," Marcus said as he pulled up in the driveway of the small red house, and Lark's eyes widened when she saw the number of people scattered outside, ready for the party to start. When Jacob had told her he and his father invited nearly everyone they knew, he didn't seem to be joking. "we're going to remember to be on our best behaviors, right?"

"Oh, please," Lark scoffed, and looked at where her dad sat in the front seat of the Nissan. "As if you had to ask. I'm an angel."

Lark followed her parents out of the car to where they could see the flames of a bonfire slicing into the night sky, and the sounds of the partygoers dwelling among them. A few teenagers milled about the crowd, who gave the newcomers a nod in hello, along with adults that greeted the Hudson family with a cheer, their eyes lighting up as they saw Marcus leading the small trio.

"Small towns," Marcus said to Lark and Diane with a large smile. "you can't help but love them."

"There's the man of the hour!" a voice boomed, and Lark looked to see Jacob pushing a man in a wheelchair over to Marcus, the man eager to greet his old friend. "The prodigal son returns."

Marcus leaned down, greeting the man with a bear hug as the two laughed joyfully, clapping each other on the back. When he stood back up, he gestured for Lark and Diane to step forward.

"Billy, you remember my wife Diane, and my daughter Larkin." Marcus introduced. "Lark, this is Jacob's father, Billy."

"Hi," Lark greeted with a smile.

"Jake, why don't you show Lark around so she can meet the others?" Billy suggested, and Jacob nodded, gesturing for her to follow him. "I need to introduce Marcus and Diane to some people."

"Follow me." Jacob informed her, bidding her parents goodbye and leading her over to where a group of teenagers gathered near the fire. "Everyone's over here."

Among the group seated near the flames she recognized Alicia sitting next to Quil and Embry, the latter's arm wrapped around her shoulders. She greeted Lark with a friendly smile, waving her over to join them. Along with them sat three other girls, as well as three other boys she didn't recognize. All eyes landed on her as Jacob led her over, their conversation ceasing as they took in the newcomer.

"Alright everyone, this is Lark." Jacob introduced. "Marcus's daughter. Lark, you know Alicia, Embry and Quil, but this is Charlie's daughter Bella Swan, Seth, Leonora and Leah Clearwater, Jared Cameron and Paul Lahote."

"Hi," everyone greeted with a friendly smile, except for the last boy, Paul, who simply continued to stare at Lark, almost as if he were in a trance. His eyes never quite left her, even as she stepped over to the benches to find a place to sit down.

"You can call me Leo." Leonora said, scooting over on the bench she sat on to make room for Lark to sit next to her.

"Paul..." Jared said, elbowing the boy next to him in an attempt to get his attention, but the boy's eyes remained locked on Lark. "Earth to Paul."

"Hmm?" Paul asked, snapping out of his daze and looking around, his cheeks tingeing red a bit in the firelight from embarrassment as the group laughed. All except for Quil, Embry and Jared, who stared at Paul with concerned gazes. "Oh, sorry. Hi."

"So, Lark." Leo said, changing the subject. "Are you going to Forks for school?"

Lark nodded. "I will be, yeah. May's not exactly the best time of year to switch schools, so my mom's been homeschooling me since January, when we found out we were moving. I'll start this fall as a junior. What about you guys?"

"We all go to school on the reservation." Seth explained. "Leah graduated from there a couple of years ago, along with Sam, who's over there with Charlie and Richie."