chapter nine

Waking up on John B's couch was something I didn't want to get used to. It wasn't the fact that it was uncomfortable, it was more the idea that something bad happened to make me want to sleep on it.
     I groaned as my hands rubbed my eyes slowly, not actually wanting to open them. I grabbed my phone from somewhere under the small pillow I slept on and checked it. 9.45. Great. I sighed, standing up. JJ must have still been asleep, as he never woke up before 12. Just as I grabbed my bag, his door opened, revealing his messy hair and his face that screamed hangover. I hated myself for wanting to stay and make sure he was okay. But I was the one that wasn't okay this time, and it felt terribly wrong.
     I turned around, heading straight for the door. I kept repeating in my mind that I didn't want to see him, but I guess I couldn't listen to myself as his words stopped me.
     "Wait, Y/n." I sighed, closing my eyes to keep my tears away. His voice was hoarse, and something in the back of my mind was telling me that he was crying. I didn't reply, waiting for him to continue. "We have to talk."
     "I have nothing to say to you." I said solemnly, keeping my voice as quiet as possible.
     "I know I fucked up, Y/n. And I'm sorry."
     "I'm glad you are." I laughed sarcastically, but his grip on my shoulder made me stop.
     "Please- look at me." His voice broke. I inhaled sharply as I finally turned to look at him. As my eyes met his red ones, filled with unshed tears, I broke down. I knew it was the comfort of being in his presence that pushed me to start crying, and that made it even worse.
     "Please don't cry- I hate seeing you cry."
     "It's your fault I'm crying, JJ." I sobbed, breaking his heart even more. "You hurt me. You made fun of me. I try to always be there for you and once I need a bit of support, you go back to being that egoistic little boy I used to be so fucking afraid of..."
     "If you would've talked to me we wouldn't have been in this situation-"
     "-Don't turn this one me- I was- I am terrified."
     "You shouldn't be." He nervously ran a hand through his hair. "It's just me... You just have to talk to me-"
     "How could I talk to you about something like this?" I paused, my eyes searching his face. "You already have enough on your plate, you don't need my freaking feelings to burden you too-"
     "Never say that again- you could never be a burden." He slowly approached me, one of his hands resting against my jaw, the other pushing some hair out of my face. His breath on my face felt so comforting, making me relax against his touch- but I couldn't.
     "I have to go." I whisper, pushing his hands away from me. I turn around, leaving him in front of the door. Making my way towards my car, I felt his eyes on me, but I couldn't stop again.
     "What do you want me to do, Y/n?" He stood in front of the window of my car, holding onto the door. I shook my head, sighing.
     "I just need my best friend right now, JJ- not the guy I just confessed my love to." He pushed himself away from the door as I started my car, pulling out into the road.
     He remained there, watching my car drive away.

Author's Note: Hi!! I'm so so sorry this took so long, I've been so busy with school and now Uni! Can't wait to know what you think of this part!!