Blame Goes Around

Pete's head was throbbing. It wasn't just the adrenaline and emotions vibrating in his veins that made his head hurt. He just couldn't forget that look on May's face. Not even shock or anger, just the blankness of it. It had been a true testament of how much Pete had hurt her, of how much he had cost her.

If there had been any doubt about what May did or didn't know, that was all laid to rest now. A ridiculous idea to begin with, the thought that she could have known all along about his... ancestry. His... father. Pete cringed, pushing his own mind away from that thought. Like May would have ever taken him in if she had known about everything. Both, her and Ben. How could they have ever loved and cared for him like they did, if they had known the truth?

Pete blew out a shaky breath, pulling the blanket a little higher up to his face before he caught himself. His eyes flickered to his right where Mr. Stark sat next to him on the couch. It didn't seem like the man had noticed Pete's bottled-up anxiety escaping his control or if he had he might have thought it was in reaction to what was happening on the screen. Quickly, Pete pulled his eyes back to the movie where Bruce Willis pulled out his multi-pass to lie his way onto that Paradise Luxury Space Liner.

Maybe that's what he should have done. Kept his mouth shut or at least lie. He could have told May later, when the trial and everything would be over. It was way past 7 pm and Pepper still wasn't back from the hospital. They had to still be talking then, Pepper still trying to fix what he had broken.

A shiver went through him, his shoulders twitching. That didn't go unnoticed.

"You okay there, kid?" Mr. Stark's posture seemed the same, only his hand was resting on the seat cushion between them.

"Fine," he breathed. No matter how high Pete pulled that blanket around himself, he could practically feel the man's eyes resting on him. What were likely just moments went by agonizingly slow until Mr. Stark, too, turned back towards the screen.

The movie wasn't bothering him. It had been a solid idea on Mr. Stark's part. A solid plan to salvage the night after Pete had once again blabbered without thinking, for a second time that day.

They had finished their pasta and Mr. Stark had just been in the middle of washing dishes even though in 6 months Pete had never before seen the man wash a single piece of tableware. Still, it seemed so normal, just like he would have done with May after dinner as well. The cleaning up and chatting, it did put Pete at ease, there was no denying that. But he wasn't a fool. Of course, he knew that this was just a way for Mr. Stark distract him, trying to get him to think about anything but what had happened at the hospital as Mr. Stark made it seem so natural and effortless, dazzling Pete with stories about the most beautiful spots he had visited. From a deserted turquoise beach in New Zealand to a starry night in Iceland staring up at the Northern Lights. It had been so easy to listen to the man romanticize the beauty and peace of these untouched places, but then Pete had fucked it all up once again.

"I'll take you if you want." Mr. Stark had just handed him a still dripping plate to dry off. "Maybe for New Year's or early next year? It's all about the right timing but the chances are a lot better in winter."

"Hmm." Pete nodded along, his eyes on the plate in his hands. New Year's... that was months away. His life had turned upside down in just a few weeks, who knew what it would be like in a few months?

"Or somewhere else..." Mr. Stark cleared his throat. "Any place you've ever wanted to visit?"

"Disney World!" He didn't hesitate for a moment, then his hands stopped, eyes a little unfocused. "Or space! I've always wanted to go to space!"