What happened in New Hampshire, stayed...

The building was quiet, even for a Monday morning with most people at work and especially considering that school was still on the last couple of weeks of summer break. It wasn't all that early in the morning anymore, but Tony was still a little bit worried that she might not even open the door. After a long night shift, she might just sleep in. It wasn't an excuse to stall himself from knocking on the door. Well, maybe it was. A little bit.

Tony took a moment, collected himself, cracked his neck then took a deep breath. A small ritual, but an effective one that had his 'Tony fucking Stark' mask slip into place before he did knock.

It stayed quiet at first. He waited for what seemed like a little too long, wondered if he should try again when there was a bit of a commotion on the other side of the door just before it swung open.

She was a little more disheveled than he had so far encountered her, but that was May Parker right in front of him alright, looking right at him. It took her a moment. She saw his face but he knew the signs. It was a little choreography that was the same almost everywhere he happened to show up unannounced. People would look at him, a couple of small question marks in their faces like they might have when meeting a random stranger and then they'd see him. Their eyes would widen in recognition, most of them would feel the surprise so deeply that their mouths started to gape. Depending on the person, this could variate from lightly parted lips to full-on jaw drops.

May Parker was not one of the people whose jaw dropped all the way to the floor. She had a little more control of her face. Most of the surprise lingered around her eyes that turned round and wide. Tony didn't quite know where to class that expression on her face. Genuine surprise or nervous worry? If only he could remember more details from that original meeting of theirs. When he had just found the boy's address and shown up at their apartment, but he had not had his guard up that day. Not regarding the aunt to the level he should have in hindsight.

"Mr... Mr. Stark? What..." Her eyes widened a bit more. "Is... where is Peter? Is he... is he okay? Did something happen?"

Tony tilted his head at her, still studying her. It was hard to say if she knew what she was doing. If the concern was put on, it was done very well. Not just the face that was drawn in surprise but also the one hand that was clutching at imaginary pearls. His own arms were in front of him, one hand holding onto his other arm's wrist, in more formal circles a sign of a dignified posture. For Tony right there, it was moreso a practical solution as his fingers traced the nano bracelet containing his combat glove, just as a precaution.

"Maybe we should talk inside?" He kept his voice low, as hard as he found it not to let his anger and frustration seep into it.

"Of... of course." She stepped aside at once and waved him into the apartment.

Tony didn't hesitate at that. He walked right inside, didn't even think twice about heading straight for the living room. A careful glance around the apartment did prove what he had thought he remembered. It might be a cozy place, warm and homey, but that personal family touch was missing. There weren't really any family pictures, nothing at all from when the boy was little. That all made a little more sense now. Tony turned and she had followed right behind him. He pointed to the couch in the middle of the room.

"Please. Sit."

The woman just stood there, frozen. She was only halfway into the room and he really wanted to get himself between her and the door before this went into the next gear. He couldn't have her run. Not that he wouldn't catch her, but he could do without the publicity.

"Mr... Mr. Stark. You're scaring me. What is going on?"

He narrowed his eyes at her. "I think I asked you to sit."