You Don't Have Interns

The workshop was a bit of a mess. Well, not the whole workshop. Most of it was centered around his main workbench and the extendable panel on the wall that held most of the components he had worked on for 'Project S' so far. Yeah... no. 'Project S' was a dumb name. He'd have to come up with something better. Tony's gaze rested on the open panel. He had taken a break from actually crafting the different parts, the net of flexible sensors that would spread across the whole suit and not just take in data but was also re-enforced to lent extra protection. But it was the digital side of things that he was focused on for now. The programming would have to be en point. There was no room - absolutely no room - for mistakes or miscalculations. This wasn't one of his self-experiments.

"How about 'Project Sojourner'?"

"Is this supposed to be a secret code, so only you understand the reference, or are others supposed to get the joke, Sir?"

He rolled his eyes to the ceiling. "What's with the snark, FRIDAY? Did I do something to upset you, darling?"

"Not at all, Boss. It's always a delight to be working with you."

Tony just huffed, fell back into his chair and spun around. The holo-keyboard shone in bright blue colors hovering a few inches over the surface of the workbench. The code was projected right in front of him. The kid would probably need an AI to work the full capacity of the suit. That would come later though. For now, he'd only get access to the essentials. Safety was of the utmost importance. He couldn't risk the boy getting stabbed again or worse. Not on Tony's watch. He highlighted about 95% of the code he had written so far.

"FRIDAY, put all this into a new file." A second projection popped up next to the original one. "We'll just call that one '3A training wheels' for now."

"How about the other file, Boss?"

"Save it under '3A part II' and then close that file... for now. We'll really have to focus on setting up the basic functionality first."

He'd seen the kid at work a couple of times. The most common danger when he was out and about would probably be falling off something. If he lost hold of the web for some reason or if it got cut or something distracted him. Yeah. The parachute would definitely have to stay in the training wheels program. He should be able to think of a few other things to soften a fall though. Just in case. And something that would alert him about sharp objects. Even if the kid's senses or his... like the feeling-danger intuition thingy he had even with that some alert system might help him filter through all the sensory input and pinpoint specific dangers and weapons faster.

Tony had probably questioned the boy about those senses of his maybe three or four more times that weekend after Peter had initially told him about his special abilities. It didn't help that the boy himself didn't really have a clue what exactly had happened to him, what the exact implications for his body were. All the information he had been given was very vague. Tony might have been inclined to think that the boy just feigned ignorance but he was way too easy to read. That much had been obvious the first time that Peter had taken off the mask when he was almost delirious with pain and lay bleeding on Tony's living room table.

"Sir, Miss Romanoff is at the door."

Tony rubbed a hand across his face. He felt nasty. Not just sweaty and greasy, but gross in general. He usually didn't really care about the grease all that much. He had it on good authority that he actually looked pretty hot in a bit of grease. Damn, he still hadn't set aside time to fucking go to LA and see Pepper.

"FRIDAY, you were supposed to remind me to set a date for LA."

"I did, Sir."

He pulled up the hem of his shirt and roughly rubbed the fabric across his face. Well, he was a long way away from 'a bit of grease' currently.