Of What Is Lost and What Is Owed

Still in the lab, Tony was spread out on the couch, massaging his temples. His headache was mostly gone. His limbs didn't feel any heavier than usual anymore. He was pretty much out of the woods when it came to the physical effects of his hangover. There was still some damage control to be done though. Like calling Pepper. But that was not gonna happen tonight. Besides the point that she probably wouldn't pick up anyway, just the thought of hearing her voice made him cringe. Maybe tomorrow, after his night with Rhodey. He hadn't left the lab ever since entering that morning with Clint. His focus was on the blueprints with a short break that he used to actually update his worksheet for March.

"FRIDAY, time?"

"It's 7:50 pm, Sir."

He let out a long breath. "Alright, how about you back up all of this." He closed the Tower project. "You should be able to access the mainframe in the Penthouse at least remotely now. Make sure I have a copy of all this over there."

"Of course, Boss."

"Thanks, girl. I'll be off to get some dinner. Let me know if there's any delay in the data transfer before I leave for the Tower."

"Yes, Sir."

Tony wandered through the hallways towards the kitchen, pondering dinner. The Team should have eaten by now, so chances were that he'd have the kitchen to himself. Maybe he'd have more luck with them keeping to themselves in the common area today. Or delivery? And have it delivered to the Tower? He would definitely have his peace over there. At least in terms of people. He could always try some of the healthy fridge stuff. Might appease Potts somewhat at least.

He walked into the room and kept his head down. The other Avengers had gathered on the couches. Roaring laughter echoed through the common room. Their eyes were all fixed on the screen in front of them. Tony opened the fridge and stared inside for a full 5 minutes. What would go with what here exactly? He pulled out the vegetable drawers one by one. Eggplants, romanesco, some funky looking root veggies. He had no idea how to even prepare half of this stuff and no patience to do 20 minutes of cleaning and chopping. There were scampi in the freezer, which would do. Pasta would be fast and easy and he'd seen some fresh spinach in one of those drawers. Add a bit of cream. Voila. Simple but elegant. And most importantly: fast!

As soon as he started rattling with the pots and pans, boiling water for the pasta and preparing the scampi for frying, he did inevitably draw intention to himself. It took Rogers only a couple of minutes to heave himself off the sofa and stalk over to him.

Leaning over the kitchen counter, the Captain grabbed an apple, bit off an impressive piece and muttered, "You missed practice."

Tony really didn't feel like burning his dinner. He only gave him a short glance. "Sorry, I had a thing at the Tower."

"At the Tower?"

"Yup, kinda last minute. Didn't really... erm... anticipate the trip. Should have called, sorry."

"Is something going on with you?"

Tony sighed, stabbing at the shrimp in the pan. "I'm fine, Cap. You know I can't make it to every training. We have an agreement, don't we?

"Yeah, the agreement is you call, if you can't make it."

Tony stayed quiet for a moment and swallowed his annoyance. Most of all, because Rogers had a point. He should have just fucking called and avoided the lecture.

"I said, I'm sorry."

Rogers nodded. "So, you and Pepper..."

"Let me stop you right there. I actually have something to tell you." He turned all the way, back straight and arms crossed.