The Easy Way or the Hard Way

Strolling into a room like he owned the place was something Tony had mastered a long time ago. That part and charming Peter's unusually attractive aunt was really the easy part of this whole trip to the Parker's. He could turn up the charm like no other. He introduced himself to May Parker, graciously ignoring the shocked expression she just hadn't been able to wipe off of her face ever since he had walked into the kitchen.

"I'm sure Peter has told you all about the internships that Stark industry is offering to students all over the country."

Dishwater was still dripping off her hands but at least that gave him an excuse to get around the shaking hands part of introductions that he so despised. Open-mouthed she turned to Peter, shaking her head.

"No... no... I'm not sure..."

Tony turned to the boy, hands resting in his pockets. "What's that, Peter? Keeping things from your aunt." He tilted his head in a mocking fashion, but the kid was quiet, mostly staring at his aunt.

"The September Foundation. A new project I've been working on with my CEO for the last few months. We're looking for the brightest and most extraordinary students this young generation has to offer." He turned to Peter, flashing his most charming smile at him. "I'm not sure if Peter learned about the program when Ms. Potts held her presentation at Midtown High a couple of weeks ago or if our national outreach program got to him first, but my team was very impressed with his application."

He could see the kid swallow hard, digesting the effortless lie Tony had just given to his aunt. If she had been looking at the boy she might have gotten suspicious. The kid really did have a face of glass. How he managed to fool his aunt all this time was a mystery to Tony. But May Parker was hanging on Tony's every word. After all, Tony knew how to captivate the attention of a room. Any room really.

"That's... wow..." She turned to the boy, at last, staring at him with wide eyes. "Peter, that is amazing."

The boy had the good sense to blush and stare at his feet. As soon as May turned around to look for a towel to dry off her hands the boy looked up at Tony, his face a giant question mark. Tony just arched his eyebrows and kept talking.

"We're in the final rounds of the application process for this year and I'm sure you understand that we are very selective with the candidates we do pick."

"Of course. Yes."

He turned to May, gesturing at the boy. "Can I have 5 minutes with him? Do you mind?"

"No, of course. Go ahead."

The kid's bedroom door had just shut behind him when the kid turned to face him.

"Mr. Stark, I'm sorry, I-"

"Oh, shut up. No, you're not."

The kid flinched away from him, dropping his glance to the floor once again.

"What the fuck were you thinking? You go from having a panic attack and being too fragile to walk on your own to climbing down 25 stories on the outside wall of a building?"

The kid was wringing his hands in front of himself, staring down at them.

"Seriously, do you have any amount of self-preservation left in there?" He starting pacing back and forth in front of the kid. "Did you actually think that I wouldn't find you? In all of Queens? That I wouldn't find your school or your name in the student registry?"

The kid was still staring down at his hands.

"Look at me, kid!" Tony stopped pacing and waited for the boy to collect himself enough to look up to him. "Do you think I made you sit through 14 stitches without anesthesia just so you can bash your head open on the pavement in front of my tower?"