Chapter 3

"It was two years ago after we played each other and we went to that bar in Portland." I don't really expect her to remember since she was absolutely hammered. "I think I know what you're talking about. The night where Lindsay and Sonnett got into that fight right?"

"Lindsay I swear to fucking god if you don't get your ass off that mans dick I'll do it for you!" Emily yells from across the dance floor. Emily's always like this in bars she doesn't want any of her teammates ending up with some random bar douche. "Mind your business Em Tyler is a very nice guy he even bought me a drink!" "It's Skylar actually." Emily loses it at that, "See you don't even know which name you'd moan if you let this continue!" Suddenly I feel warm hands wrap around my torso. "Hey Chris" Tobin slurred clearly drunk. "Dance with me." I shake her arms off and turn around. "Tobs you are far too drunk to be asking me to dance right now." She feigns innocence and drags me to the dance floor. "Come on Chris live a little why don't you?"

"Yeah I remember asking you to dance. You're actually not bad you know I was expecting a lot worse." I swat her arm. "Let me continue."

By the third song we've found a comfortable position. My backs against her chest and her hands are resting on my hips. The two shots of vodka must really be giving me some bravery. "Loosen up a little it's just me." Miraculously I do loosen up. My hips start to grind a little and her hold on me tightens. I can feel her breath against my neck. It's deep and uneven like she's focused. Focused on me. With each song that passes we get closer and closer and my hips get looser and looser. This continues for a few more songs until she whispers, "Let's get out of here I'm starting to feel a little..." she pauses before her next word and leans in closer, "hot" it takes everything in my not to moan right there.

"NO way did I say that. It totally sounds like I wanted to bone you." Tobin says clearly shocked by her own behavior. My face flushes again just like it did last night. I avoid eye contact and continue the story.

The next thing I know Tobin is dragging me out of the bar and into a taxi. The driver turns around and looks us up and down before chuckling to himself. "So where are you two headed?" I decide to answer since I'm not positive the girl next to me can form proper sentences right now. The car engine ignites and we are off towards Tobin's house. After getting a few peaceful moments of Tobin not being all over me her hand is trailing farther and farther up my leg. Instead of swatting her away I choose to just rest my hand on top of hers. I shouldn't be enjoying this. It isn't right of me to even be letting her touch me right now when there's no way she'll remember in the morning. My hand on hers stops her in her tracts and she simply links our fingers together. I look at the front seat to see if the driver noticed what was happening but he just seemed focused on the dark road ahead. Our hands stayed together until we pulled into her lot. I thanked the driver for the both of us and gave him an extra nice tip. Before driving off he says, "have fun while the beginning lust lasts. It doesn't last forever" and winks. My eyes widen but Tobins too busy trying to walk to the apartment complex to hear him. Reluctantly I follow after her and let her lean on me while we stumble to her apartment. "Okay Tobs are you okay on your own now?" Tobin locks eyes with me and whispers, "No. stay." she sounded so sure of herself.

We enter her apartment and she flicks the light on. It looks different than I remembered. The sofa has clothes strewn over it, the kitchen has dirty dishes sprawled about, the walls were no longer blank, and it just looks more like a home. "I like what you've done with the place." The nerves are evident in my voice. She just laughs though and drags me to the single bedroom. "Tobs what are you doing?" No response is given as she opens the door to her room. "Tobs?" And with that she spins around and pins me to the wall. A silence falls between us as the looks at me up and down. I need to stop this I HAVE to stop this, but it feels like everything I wanna say is just caught in my throat. "Chris, god Chris you looked so good at the bar tonight. I knew I needed you." With that her slightly chapped lips make contact with my neck and I can't help but let out a small moan. "Tobs we can't. You- you're just lonely and probably, no, definitely straight and I'd be taking advantage of you. One because you're drunk and two because I actually likes girls. It just wouldn't be fair so please can we just go to bed?" I feel her lips leave my neck and she sighs. No more words are spoken as she walks away and slips into her bed still fully clothed. I don't move until I start to hear soft snores. Carefully I slip into bed next to her and lay on the very edge. A part of me wants her to remember it but what would happen if she did? The following morning I slip out without leaving anything behind and shoot her a text saying that I left early and that I made sure she got home safe. My phone dings about an hour later.

Thanks for taking me home! Hope I didn't do anything to embarrassing!

She doesn't remember.

"Oh my god Chris I'm so sorry. I have no idea why I acted like that it was totally inappropriate." I shake my head at her, "Tobs don't feel bad really you were just drunk and lonely. It's not like you did anything after I said no. If you had it would be a different story." She whispers something under her breath but I can't understand it. "I'm still sorry though Chris. But how on earth did that not clue you in that I'm not straight? Pretty sure even the most curious straight girls don't go for that." We both laugh at that and all the tension leaves. "You're right but I guess the thought of you being attracted to me just sounded so impossible so I told myself you were straight." Just as fast as the tension left it comes back again. That was too much information shared. Way way way too much. "Why?"

Now what do I say to that? Should I just be honest? This is Tobin it's not like she's gonna be disgusted. She did try to sleep with me after all. "Because I li..." I'm cut off by someone yelling our names. Alex rounds the hallway corner and grins at us. "Sorry for interrupting but the bus is about the leave." Tobin immediately lights up and jogs over to Alex. "Thanks Lex!" There's no trace of the conversation we were just having left on her face.

We sit together on the bus just like we always do. None of our teammates seem to be particularly interested in the drama anymore and are now talking about Mal and her boyfriend. "Wanna continue that conversation now?" Tobin asks a little too casually. "Yeah good idea." "Great so why?" My best bet is probably to play clueless. "Why what? Oh why did I react like that! I think it was just shock from what you said and remembering that night." Her lips shift from a small smile to a frown. Its a few moment before she even responds with anything, "Chris..." She begins but she chokes up. It was only then that I noticed her eyes were beginning to water. "No no Tobs don't cry. Please don't feel bad. That came out wrong it just took me back and I don't know but don't feel bad."

Seeing Tobin cry was always something I hated. Whether it was after a hard loss or just because she missed her family. It didn't matter what time it was or where we were if she was ever upset I'd drop everything to help her feel better. It wasn't uncommon for Tobin to get upset during the night after a game whether we won or lost. Normally she'd text me sometime throughout the night and we'd meet in the lobby and just walk around and explore whatever part of the world we were in. I can't even remember when it started but it's where our real friendship began.

"I'll try not to feel bad about it. I just can't imagine how uncomfortable I must've made you. How about I try to make it up tonight? We can sneak out later and go to the beach or do whatever you want." I nod and smile at her. "That sounds great Tobs. One last thing though; who is this mystery girl you like." Upon looking around and seeing that no one is listening she mutters, "Alex."

Even though I knew what she was about to say it still hurt hearing it from her. "Awe Tobs! I'll give it to you she is attractive." Much more attractive than I'll ever be.