Chapter 5

Those three hours flew by and I spent all of them pacing around my room wondering what to do about the girl I was about to see. There's no real reason to be worried about tonight. The worst that can happen is she talks about Alex and my feelings get a little hurt. I can handle that with no issues so why all the nerves? We've done this so many times, it was even on one of these late night adventures that I realized I had much deeper feelings for Tobin than I thought.

"Come on Chris it's just a little farther and then we can rest our legs all we want!" She's obviously trying to distract me so I don't rip her head off. When I agreed to go out tonight I had no clue we'd be going on a whole damn hike. "Tobs how much further is a little?" All I get in response is a light laugh and her bumping my shoulder. "Just like another 5 feet actually." No more than 10 seconds later we come into a clearing and I realize exactly where we are. "This is such a fuck boy move taking me to the Hollywood sign."

"Actually Chrissy this is very thought out. You see about three weeks ago someone told me they had just finished 'Perks of Being a Wallflower' and had absolutely loved it. If I'm not mistaken there is a scene in here where Patrick and Charlie come up here."

That was the moment it dawned on me that I liked Tobin. Anyone could've remembered my favorite movie but it felt so special knowing that she did, and also the fact she snuck out in the middle of the night to take me there seemed romantic enough to sweep me off my feet.

"Have you even seen the movie or read the book?" She looks away and then looks back with a smile, "Come on I brought a blanket so we could chill on the ground and look at the stars." My eyes drifted to the sky and with the LA smog there was no way we would see any. "But the smog?" Without answering she grabs my hand and drags for forward to where she's gonna lay out the blanket. Our hands don't disconnect even when she's having a little trouble straightening out the blanket. "Our bed awaits!"

Neither of us break the comfortable silence that fell between us for a while. There may be no stars but the city lights aren't a bad view at all. "LA is gorgeous at night. You're so lucky you got to grow up around here." This conversation was nothing new Tobin has always loved the west coast. It was perfect for her laid back long boarding and surfing lifestyle. "When Cali gets a team you better bet I'm gonna try to transfer from the Thorns." Silence comes again and I suddenly become hyper aware of how close our bodies are and how her thumb is stroking the hand thats connected with hers.

Its just Tobin. Just Tobin who is your very best friend. Just Tobin who took you on a whole hike just to be somewhere that was mentioned in your favorite book. Just Tobin whose hand in mine makes my whole body feel like it's on fire.

"Chris you good? You look totally out of it." Her eyebrows are furrowed as her dark eyes search my face for any answers. "Yeah I'm great just a little cold I guess." She lights up at that and drops my hand. "Lucky for you I am willing to be your own personal heater for one night and one night only." With that she gets behind me and wraps her arms around me. Maybe it's a little wrong but I can't help but lean into her touch. It's definitely just because she's warm.

Tobin didn't let go until she noticed I had fallen asleep. We ended up taking an Uber back to the hotel that night since neither of us really wanted to walk all the way back. My ringtone snaps me back into reality.

"Hey Tobs I just got on the elevator I'll be to your floor soon."

"Cool cool I'll just meet you by the elevator so you don't have to walk all the way to my room."

I hang up and am quickly met with a beaming Tobin when the doors slide open. "Fancy seeing you here." My eyes roll at the corny joke but I can't help the small giggle that escapes. "Someone likes their dad jokes don't they?" Our eyes meet and suddenly her smile is replaced with a smirk. "Stop with the murderer face Tob it's not flattering." It's her turn to roll her eyes now, "Well too bad it'll be the las thing you see tonight!" "Wha..." My back is now against the elevator wall and Tobin's in front of me with her hands on my waist. She leans in closer and just before our foreheads touch she squeezes my sides causing me to fall to the ground laughing.