Twenty-Two: The Battle of Britpop

Sylvia felt strange to be inside Fred's bedroom, though it gave her a titillated sense of excitement at the same time, like she was spying into a very private part of his life. She'd always felt that way about bedrooms, where people slept and woke up every morning, where they were at their most vulnerable. Posters and books and knick-knacks on shelves like little motifs to a person's life. Even the way the furniture was laid out was fascinating.

Fred's bedsheets we're a grey linen and there was a colorful handmade quilt folded halfway down. Even though she knew he only made his bed because the chances of her coming over that night were high, Sylvia let herself believe that he was the type of person to make his bed every day. It made her smile.

He stood behind her, one hand on her hip and the other pulling her hair over her shoulder so he could kiss her neck. She took a deep breath but didn't close her eyes, letting them scan the room for other little secrets.

A desk full of scattered papers, a Blur poster and a Gryffindor pennant on one wall facing an array of photographs on the other.

"I like the Blur poster." She said.

Fred kept kissing at her neck, his words slurred against her skin, "Don't be funny now."

"I'm not being funny. I like Blur."

"You just think Damon Albarn is pretty."

She grinned. His hands were fingering around her belt loops, "Maybe. Are you going to ask me to name at least three of their songs now?"

He hummed into her neck, leaving a tickling vibration that sent shivers all over her body, "I know better than to question you on that. But it doesn't make me any less jealous of the thirty year old pretty boy on my wall."

Sylvie grinned at the poster. She'd had a crush on nearly every member of Blur since she was thirteen and spent the majority of her teen years listening to their records back-to-back and planning her wedding with Damon or Graham and sometimes Alex, depending on whether she felt like the pretty one or the shy one or the tall one. They were all looking very cute and pouty on Fred's wall.

"He's only twenty-eight."

"Oh well that makes me feel loads better." Fred turned her around with his hands on her hips and kissed her, speaking into her mouth, "I bet you're wishing it was him kissing you right now."

Sylvie nodded and kissed him so her tongue pressed against his. She could feel his knee rising between her legs and she sighed through her nose. He was walking her back into his bed now. She sat back, spreading her thighs so he could stand between them and move her further back on to the mattress with his hands under her knees.

"If Damon Albarn walked through that door, you'd ditch me in a heartbeat, wouldn't you?" He crawled over her and she felt a surge of thrilling heat rise in her chest.

"I might hesitate." She grinned up at him and slid her hands under his shirt. She liked it when he wore t-shirts because she could see his arms. He seemed to remember that as he had changed into one after work. Even though there was snow on the ground outside.

It was cold outside, and the radiator by the window clanged with effort to produce any heat, but Sylvia felt like she could start sweating bullets any minute. She pulled the shirt over Fred's head and ruffled a hand through his hair. He snorted at her and reached up to push it back, but she stopped him, grabbing his hand and holding it by her shoulder.