Twenty-One: Cowboys and Coffee Cups

Her hair was long again. Not as long as it was in sixth year, but longer than last year, enough to be tied at the base of her neck with a thin, green ribbon, the pitch black waves running between her shoulder blades. And the color almost looked warm, like if it was spread out in front of a light it would turn brown. She had those little foam headphones on.

He leaned on the railing of the second-story balcony and peered down at her.

"Sylvia Callis returned from the grave."

She turned around at the sound of his voice and looked up, a sweet smile spreading across her face as she slid the headphones off her ears and let them dangle around her neck. She was willingly smiling at him in public. And he returned that smile, unable to contain the little spark of joy he got from seeing her face. She looked very well put together, with brown derby shoes and a sharp leather blazer. Resting on the bridge of her nose was a pair of round, tortoise-shell glasses. He suddenly didn't know what to say.

"Howdy."

"Howdy." She chuckled, "Long time."

"How are the states?"

She didn't say anything, just huffed a short snarky laugh through her nose and nodded her head.

Fred stuck his tongue in his cheek.

"You're not listening to country music and visiting the shooting range now, are you?"

Her smile spread and she showed a row of perfectly crowded teeth, letting out a little laugh. Her eyes even crinkled a little at the corners. Fred's heart fluttered, but he swallowed it down as he cleared his throat.

"You home for Christmas?"

She nodded, her eyes leaving his for a moment to look around the shop. Her cheekbones caught the light, showing that those lovely freckles were still there.

"This is quite something, Fred." She actually sounded impressed.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Didn't think a joke shop was your idea of 'quite something'."

"Oh no, it's very impressive," She stepped over to the nearest table, picking up a bottle of green pills, "How else would you describe..." She read the label, "U-No-Poo?"

Fred snorted, raising an eyebrow down at her as she returned the look, her dark eyes peering up from behind the spectacles.

"Why would someone want to take pills that make them constipated?"

He let out a laugh, "You use them on other people."

She raised both eyebrows, setting the bottle back down on the display table.

"You don't know that's what your customers are using them for. There are some weird people out there, Fred, you'd be surprised."

"I suppose you know that from experience?"

She gave a quick smirk before directing her attention elsewhere, scanning over the other products slowly, pretending to be fascinated by the WonderWitch table. Fred took the moment to run down down the stairs while her back was turned and slowed to a casual strut when he reached the ground floor, digging his hands deep into his pockets as he stepped up beside her.

"Those are our best sellers, believe it or not."

"I don't doubt it." She bent down a little and squinted her eyes at one of the labels. "'Not for witches or wizards under the age of sixteen'?"

"I know what you're thinking, but Daydream Charms don't have to be sexual."

"I didn't say anything," She shook her head and blinked quickly, "Although now I'm curious as to why that would be an option in the first place."