Twenty-Four: How I Live Now

She showed Fred how to deliver a mail by post on her last day in London, even giving him 50 pence to buy stamps.

"I'll wait out here and you go in by yourself." She said, leaning against the cold brick of the post office.

Fred raised an unsure eyebrow at the front door. He had on a plain black pea coat and a dark green scarf wrapped around his neck. Sylvia thought he looked especially handsome, like a boy she'd see in a coffee shop and think about for the next week.

He came back out with a small strip of stamps, holding it between his hands like a fortune.

"Now it's just like with owls," She stood close to him so their shoulders touched, "Just write the address and return. And you stick one of these in the top right corner."

He sniffed against the cold air, nodding.

"Then you go and drop it in one of these, okay?" She turned slightly to point at the bright red mailbox that stood outside the post office, "They're all over."

"This seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through to send a letter."

She smiled. His arm pressed against hers.

"You'd rather send Errol over an ocean?"

Sylvia's roommate was named Wendy Suzuki-Lopez. She was a short girl from Tempe, Arizona, head full of straight, thick bleached hair that brushed against the tops of her shoulders and dark brown eyes that she lined with kohl every morning. Her voice was gravely and deep and made everyone in their building have a crush on her.

"Is your roommate single?" A boy named Greg who sat behind Sylvia in her art history class asked.

She raised an eyebrow but grinned, "Yeah. Why?"

Greg just nodded and leaned back in his seat.

She told Wendy when she got back to their room, to which Wendy replied, "Who the fuck is Greg?"

Along with attracting every person she interacted with, Wendy also had a habit of becoming increasingly interested in Sylvia's love life. At the beginning of the fall term, they'd gone to a party in a sophomore's apartment, where Sylvie became quickly acquainted with mixing whiskey and rum, and within an hour was letting a boy with curly brown hair and rings on his fingers lick salt off her neck in order to do a tequila shot. Wendy wouldn't let her forget it and asked her every weekend if she was going to hook up with "body-shot boy" again.

She became even more intrigued when she noticed the letters Sylvie was receiving every few weeks.

"It's just a friend from home." She'd defend, to which Wendy would pout, but watch Sylvia's face for any flickering smiles as she read.

It wasn't until they returned after Christmas that Wendy finally found out. Sylvie had been saving this particular letter for nearly a week, finding a moment to open it when her roommate had just left for class. It was just her luck though that as soon as she was on her second thorough reading of said letter, the door would fly open.

"Forgot my bag," Wendy said with a gust of amber perfume that followed her back into the room. She stopped short though, letting the door swing shut behind her as Sylvia began folding the letter closed.

"What's this? A love letter?" Wendy grabbed the paper out of her hands, spinning away as she read it out loud with a theatrical tone, ignoring Sylvia's half-hearted protest.

"'Syl. Are you coming back for the summer? This is probably too forward, but I've never been a very reserved person so here goes. What do you think about staying with me? My brother Bill is getting married in August and I need a wedding date.' Oh my god, that's adorable." Wendy laughed, tossing the letter back down to the desk.