Nine: Count Your Blessings and Say Your Prayers

Well, she had managed to make it through the winter holiday without a single beating, physical or otherwise, at the hands of Quentin. Given the fact that Fred and Angelina had witnessed the his last performance, he was staying under the radar, laying low until he decided she was in need of more disciplining. But who was Sylvia Callis to deny her brother the opportunity so soon? It was their birthday, after all.

Every year was the same. Quentin's fan club made a big deal of the special occasion at breakfast, which meant that, slowly, others would start to remember that he and Sylvia were twins, giving her gauche and half-hearted birthday wishes after the fact.

It was a stroke of pathetic luck that she arrived late to breakfast that morning, though the effort put into place was heartwarming nonetheless.

All nine of her fellow sixth-year Gryffindors stood from their seats in a thunder of hoots and hollers, applauding as she approached the table. Lee was the loudest of all, which was uplifting regardless of the fact that Sylvia knew it was just to create a bigger ruckus than the Slytherin table.

She sat down with a sheepish grin, embarrassed by the clamor they had caused for her. Glancing over her shoulder, she spotted Quentin with a small array of presents laid out before him. The look he gave her made her skin crawl.

"Happy birthday!" Fiona squealed from beside her, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Thank you." She replied through an awkward laugh, uncomfortable with the sudden attention.

Across the table, Fred leaned forward on his elbows, a look of what Sylvie could only describe as languor on his face.

"So, the big one seven, huh?"

She had been trying her best to retain a coolness in the days, weeks, and now months after their fight, but Fred was doing a much better job at it than her.

"Yep." She matched his tone.

He nodded, bored, returning to picking at the scrambled eggs on his plate. Next to him, George shook his head, his eyes trained on the Slytherin table behind her.

"I always forget you and Quentin are twins."

She stuck a fork into her eggs, "Yeah well, not all of us can be Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum like you two."

"Who?" Fred and George asked in unison.

"Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum. From Alice in Wonderland."

They just furrowed their brows at her like she had lobsters crawling out of her ears.

"It's a muggle book." Alicia explained through a mouthful of food.

"Is it?" Sylvia replied, "I didn't know that. I thought everyone knew what Alice in Wonderland is."

Without looking up from his plate of hardly-touched breakfast, Fred raised an eyebrow.

"I thought both your parents were wizards, wouldn't you know if something was a muggle book or not?"

"Yeah, my dad was muggle-born though. I think a lot of the books he read to me when I was little were muggle ones."

He actually seemed half-interested, keeping his head bowed but looking up at her when she spoke, even giving her the smallest of nods. Everyone else pretended to be oblivious to the tension, save George, who arched an eyebrow and glanced between the two of them.

"Well anyways, happy birthday, Syl."

Grateful for his diversion, she smiled at him, "Thanks, George."

It was already a dreary day, rainy and overcast, the low pressure system giving Fred a pounding headache. Angelina had put an end to anything that was going on between them the night before, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but it was obvious she was upset with him. To top it all off, his last class of the day was DADA, and he wasn't in the mood for Moody's eccentricities.