Two: Pride and Prejudice

Sylvia walked into class ten minutes late, soaked from head to toe.

Snape stopped mid sentence to watch her as she surveyed the classroom quickly before sitting down at the nearest empty seat, next to Fiona Belmont, who eyed the drops of water falling from  her drenched hair. Fred wondered why she would be wet, it was completely cloudless outside. In fact, it was practically a heat-wave out there. Maybe she was profusely sweaty.

"Class starts at eight o'clock, Miss Callis."

She kept her eyes down as she pulled out her parchment and quill, sniffing.

"Yes, I'm aware." Sharp, quick, like everything she did was.

Snape stiffened and the whole of the Gryffindor side of the room drew in a collective breath, ready for the damage to be done.

"Well then you'd be aware that tardiness is not tolerated in this class. Ten points from Gryffindor."

Students groaned as the Hufflepuffs on the other side of the classroom but their tongues. But she wasn't finished.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not an idiot, Professor." She was jack knifed against her chair, hand curled around her quill like it was a stake. Even from behind, Fred noticed her jaw grinding and he thought he could see steam rising off her as her wet hair grew hot with anger.

Snape cast a glaring eye down at her, and what he said next came as no surprise.

"Talk like that will earn you detention, you know, Miss Callis."

Not even a beat passed.

"Yes I know. And I will be in your office at seven o'clock sharp to reorganize your chemistry sets."

Fred actually let out a guffaw, but quickly bit his lip when Snape turned his to him, like a vulture finding its next prey. Next to him, Lee shifted away, biting down on his palm to repress a laugh.

"Mr. Weasley, if you wish to avoid joining Miss Callis in detention this afternoon, I suggest you keep your reactions to yourself."

He snapped back to Sylvia, who was already throwing her inkwell back in her bag. He didn't even tell her to leave. She simply stood and threw her bag over her shoulder, leaving a puddle of water behind her as she left the classroom.

Fred got detention anyways. He put a firework in his cauldron, setting it off in Snape's face as he checked his potion at the end of class.

So, when seven o'clock came around, he found himself outside Snape's office. If you could even call it that. The door was closed but he tried the handle, and it opened to reveal the tiny library of jars and drawers. Dimly lit by the desk lamp, Sylvia was already stood at the fourth rung of the sliding ladder, placing a newly filled bottle of beetle eyes on a shelf. She glanced over at him in the doorway, barely acknowledging him as she climbed down, "You're late."

"It's seven," Fred closed the door behind him, dimming the room further until it was cast in the slightest orange glow, "Where's Snape?"

"It's seven-thirty and he doesn't come in, trusts us to do the job." She snapped back at him, deferring his gaze as she sat at the desk, opening one of the drawers to pull out an empty phial and a blank label.

"My watch is behind." He sat at the chair opposite her, kicking up his feet onto the desk, rattling the lamp slightly.

Her eyes flicked up to his momentarily, then she leaned down to scribble on the label, licking the back of it quickly before smoothing it over the tiny bottle.