23

Wale typed furiously on his laptop like a mad dog. He shifted his attention to his phone. Why hasn't Aderonke called? He left home early in the morning while she was still asleep to finish up a presentation before the board meeting. It was his birthday but he was still haunted by Bimbo's face every goddamn night. He was expecting a love message from his wife. He scratched his neck nervously, Aderonke had been behaving odd in the past few days. She didn't go out, neither did she cry. She refused to eat and made up excuses that she was fasting and the weirdest of them all was that she denied him sex.

He banged his desk angrily. All this wouldn't have happened if that brat never seduced him in the first place and the most annoying part was that her friends...had to witness it all. He knew Sade had recovered but how long will it take before she spills the beans to that nosy yet sexy detective? He had found himself admiring her backside the first day they met at the crime scene.

He glanced at his watch. It was time for the presentation. He buttoned up his suit buttons and placed a pen into the pocket on the right hand side of his suit. He checked his entire outlook in the three quarter mirror and frowned.

His eyes were sunken and his suit was rumpled. How could he sleep when all he could think of was that fool? How could he sleep knowing that one day his secret would be out? All he wanted and needed was for Aderonke to move on... quickly. He would probably tell her the truth in the next forty years when he was probably few minutes from breathing his last.

He ran his calloused fingers through his hair and smirked. It was his birthday and there was no way he would allow Bimbo to contaminate him. He was going to enjoy his day with Aderonke.

He flung the door harshly and muttered a silent prayer before heading towards the board room.

                                ****

“I said you should go. " Aderonke repeated to a kneeling Sewa in the living room as she folded her arms under her bosom.

“Ma p-please, I know that I'm a very stupid person and I go overboard sometimes but please don't sack me. My people in E-Egbeda, what will I use to feed them? You are my only provider. Ma, please... don't do this to me. I promise, I won't speak out...of line again." Sewa sobbed as she rubbed her palms against one another.

Aderonke sighed in a annoying manner before replying, “I never said I was going to sack you. I said you should leave the house today. Today is Friday, you can come back to the house on Monday. I'll even...give you a bonus when you come back."

“Ehehn ma? No problem, I'll move out today. Right now. Thank you ma." Sewa said and ran off to her room.

Aderonke groaned before rising up from the leather couch. She strolled outside to the gatekeeper's abode and knocked softly on the door.

“Uche!" Aderonke yelled.

Aderonke paused before knocking again and this time Uche ran out with beads of sweat ravishing his yellow pawpaw forehead. Aderonke snorted and covered the tip of her nose with her fingers as the sharp smell of agbo reached her nostrils.

“Ma, I'm sorry for not answering you the first time you called. I was praying ma." Uche said.

“I never asked." Aderonke retorted and spoke again, “I need you to pack your bags this minute and leave this house now."

Aderonke gasped as Uche instantly went down on his knees and began to hold Aderonke's leg.

“Uche, are you okay?" Aderonke asked.

“Ma, I swear to God, I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to let the dogs into the house yesterday. I didn't know ma...My wife will soon give birth and I can't lose this job. Where will I start from madam? Please... don't do this to me. I will never annoy you again ma for the rest of my life." Uche sobbed.

“Why are you always behaving like someone that's deaf? I never said I was going to fire you. I said you should leave for the meantime. You can come back on Monday." Aderonke told him.

“Oh. Okay ma. Thank you ma. The Almighty God will bless you ma. But shouldn't I tell oga? Who will open the gate for him when he returns and I don't think you're familiar with opening the gate ma?" Uche asked stupidly.

Aderonke sighed and placed a frustrated palm on her forehead, “Uche, before I count to five. If you don't leave my presence and go and pack your clothes inside. I will give a dirty slap that even your unborn baby will be able to identify without seeing you."

“S-Sorry ma, I'm sorry. I didn't know I was out of line." Uche slightly bent his knees as a mode of apology before running into his abode.

“Ode. He's always behaving like an idiot." Aderonke muttered silently to herself as she turned around and walked into the house with a dangerous glint in her eyes.

                                ****

Aderonke took a quick glance at the dinning table. The cake was an elegant lemon thyme cake, with alternating layers of lemon curd and vanilla buttercream, and then decorated with rich golden icing, candied citrus and sprigs of mint to top it off. Laid on the long oak table was an amount of food that on any other day would be expected to last several more.

It was a grand space, to say the least. The huge  table took up most of the vast space the dark, romantic room offered, left with a a simple tablecloth. Two tall, silver candelabras commanded attention from the center of the table, holding smooth white candles whose wax never dripped.

The dining-room was exquisite. The walls were covered with a shimmering gold paper and in the middle of the ceiling above the carved oak table was a candelabra. Down the center of the table was a runner with celtic design woven in gold and green into the fabric itself. The polished silver cutlery was heavy to the hand and shone brightly in the evening light. At each place stood a tall empty wine glass and there were beautifully folded napkins to match the runner. The only thing missing was her husband.

Aderonke's lips curved into a dangerous smile and she walked towards her empty bedroom and peeled off her night wear. She  gently picked up the dress that laid lazily on the bed.The creamy sheets of the silk dress slipped onto her shoulders, peppering her body with soft, sensual kisses. Like a lover, it seduced the senses and conveyed with utmost skill the art of pleasing. She buttered her ears with diamond earrings and slipped on her wedding ring. Then she reached out for her bag and brought out the gun.

She ran her fingers carefully over the pistol. She had learnt how to use it after watching a couple of videos on YouTube for several hours. There was a knife on the table to cut the birthday cake but the gun in her hand, It was made for death and there was no way around it.

She took a quick glance at the window as she watched her husband push the gate open with a frown on his face. He was back and he was right on time. Aderonke walked elegantly down the stairs, her chest heaving as the gun was carefully tucked into her clutch mini bag. When she reached the living room, she gazed briefly at Bimbo's portrait for a couple of seconds as tears smeared her makeup. She read everything that was on Bimbo's phone from the detective and she couldn't stop herself from sobbing aloud.

Aderonke took out her phone and sent a quick text to the detective.

“Come to my house tonight. I'll send you the address. It's going down tonight. I'll give you a signal once I find out the truth. Be careful while jumping my fence and please...be competent."

Aderonke sighed and draped one of her legs  over the other. She forced a smile on her face as soon as she heard her husband twist the handle of the door. She took a deep breath.

It was time.

Vote.Comment and Enjoy