8

Aderonke shook her head while watching her sister-in-law, Fadeke scoop a handful of boiled groundnut from a bowl. She made incoherent noises from her lips which irritated Aderonke. Fadeke was Wale's younger sister who was currently unemployed after studying in the United States for four years. Aderonke raked her eyes all over Fadeke, she was exceptionally beautiful with her dark chocolate skin. Aderonke was appalled to see Fadeke in her house since they were never on good terms since she got married to Wale.

"This groundnut is sweet. " Fadeke exclaimed.

"I know." Aderonke gave off a toothless smile and adjusted her short gown.

"Do you have more?" Fadeke asked while using her nails to remove bits of groundnut that settled in between her teeth.

"Of course." Aderonke shook her head. She wondered why Fadeke came to visit. It was odd enough that Fadeke was trying to sprout a conversation but the cheeky smile that never left Fadeke's face was alarming.

"Aderonke!" Fadeke called.

"I am right here, you don't have to shout. " Aderonke retorted dramatically.

"Aderonke!" Fadeke repeated while scanning the lavish sitting room. Fadeke loved money but the heavens rendered her destiny as poor and penniless. Fadeke had scouted for jobs in the United States but it was fruitless and even in Nigeria, every job she applied for ended up in rejection, not even her brother's affluence could help it. The best her brother did was to give her some cash which never got invested or properly spent. It was always spent in clothes, shoes, bags or parties.

Fadeke was financially dumb.

"I told you earlier that you don't have to shout like a local woman. Speak, I'm in all ears." Aderonke grunted.

"I-I am sorry." Fadeke stated with a sigh.

"For what?" Aderonke inhaled sharply.

"About Bimbo. I was shocked about it, you're going through a lot that I don't think I can-" Fadeke began but was interupted in mid-sentence.

"It's not like you were the one who killed her." Aderonke laughed humorlessly.

Fadeke laughed as well, loud and hard before staring at Aderonke in the eye. The glint of hatred visible on their faces were funny and deadly at the same time.

"I can't believe that you can still joke after losing your only child." Fadeke chided and took another handful of groundnut from the bowl on the centre table.

"I'm not joking. Did you kill my daughter?" Aderonke spat with a wry smile.

"H-How can you say that? I'm your sister for Christ's sake." Fadeke nearly choked on the groudnut she was eating.

"You're not my sister. We aren't related remember?" Aderonke reminded her.

"Aderonke, what is it? Why are you still holding on the past? Learn to forgive and forget." Fadeke pleaded with her eyes.

"Which past are you referring to? The past in which you called me a prostitute and a golddigger when I was about to wed your brother?" Aderonke responded.

"I thought you only liked my brother because of his wealth and to be honest...I wasn't lying, you were actually a prostitute. My brother picked you up from the streets." Fadeke shrugged.

"Look at who just said that I should stop holding on to the past. You are no better than me, Fadeke." Aderonke replied.

"Whatever, I really don't want to argue with a mourning woman." Fadeke answered.

"And did you come here to comfort me? It doesn't look like it." Aderonke admitted.

"When is the burial?" Fadeke changed the topic hurriedly.