5

Two days flew by after the incident between Aderonke and the maid. Aderonke refused to talk to her husband and remained at loggerheads with him. She survived on cereals and bread, she even refused to perform her matrimonial bed duties. She was content with holding her dead daughter's portrait on her bosom while she cried herself to sleep.

"When would you go to your boutique? It's been two weeks. You should be managing that instead of staying at home doing nothing. " Wale said, knotting his blue tie with the aid of the transparent glass mirror that was situated at a corner of the bedroom.

Aderonke looked up from the magazine she was surfing through and hissed aloud. She thought her husband would apologize instead he was trying so hard to make small talk which enraged her. She wondered if he was growing feelings for that daft maid since he was still eating the meals she prepared.

"That's none of your concern. I have a manager who overseers and reports to me about my boutique." Aderonke blurted, fluttering her eyelashes.

"You really have attitude issues. You should have remained mute." Wale replied slowly as he took hold of his briefcase.

"Is that how to apologize? You still don't want to settle what happened few days ago? You keep ignoring me and my demands." Aderonke sneered, sliding her feet into her slippers under the bed.

Wale dropped the briefcase on the bed and exhaled deeply before countering, "For Christ's sake, you have been the one ignoring me,you refused to talk or address me properly.You even refused to acknowledge that it wasn't Sewa's fault entirely. Haven't you burnt a full meal before? Everything is your fault and your volanco spirit. Do you even remember what today's date is?"

"Nothing is special about today so I don't think it's worth remembering." Aderonke yelled as she began to arrange the bed.

As she spoke, Wale's eyes grew wider and wider until it was almost comical.

"It's our wedding anniversary!" Wale finally said with a ting of awe hanging loose on his face.

"And what exactly are we celebrating? We are wedded with a loss of a child to show for it." Aderonke said as she shook her head.

"Can't you at least be grateful? God gives and he takes whom ever he wishes. Why are you hurting me like this?" Wale pleaded, his eyes holding back sheer disappointment.

"And why can't you be reasonable? What did I do to warrant this devastating torment? Did I sin against God? If I knew this is the way you were, I wouldn't have agreed to marry you." Aderonke shouted on top of her lungs.

"What's your problem? Didn't your mother teach you proper manners?" Wale wondered, rolling up his sleeves.

"Don't you dare bring my mother into this. It's not like your mother is any better." Aderonke responded as she straighted her shoulders and tried to tighten the reins around her emotions.

Wale gasped and tried to counter her statement but stopped in mid-sentence on hearing the quick vibration of her phone lying on the top dresser where she kept her exquisite deodorants and different types of body cream. They both stared at each other for a brief moment before Aderonke took the initiative to walk away and pick up her phone.

With a tight clutch on the phone followed by with a frustrated groan she said," Hello, how may I may you?"

"Hello Madam!"

Aderonke recognized the thin voice that boomed from the receiver and replied," Why are you calling me? I thought you didn't want me to intervene anymore in the investigation."

"The autopsy results are out, you and your husband's attention are needed in the police station. I'll be waiting." The phone made a off-putting noise and the connection was altered.