31

Trigger warning ahead. This chapter is quite alarming.

Anyways enjoy!

“Sir, you do not understand. She didn't kill that girl. It's impossible because..... " Ada tried to speak but was cut off by the D. P. O who had a nasty expression on his face. Her eyes landed on the plaque on the table that displayed his name.

Olalekan Adeyanju

“Will you keep your mouth shut, Ada?" he barked while raising an accusing finger at Ada who stood a few centimeters away from him, the chair and table being the only obstacle, “I gave you a case to work on but you dragged it on and on and now it's so complicated and messy that even the media already knows all about it. The woman in question has a problematic history with the mourning parents so what have you been doing with a suspect of murder? Did you make small talk and become friends or what? "

“Sir..." Ada tried to speak once more but his baritone voice cut her off once more.

“Keep your mouth shut right there, " he stated while banged his knuckled against the brown wooden table, “This is why women shouldn't be accepted into the police force. They think it's about emotions and knowing absolutely nothing about the field."

Ada clenched her first as anger radiated through her blood and bones. She had subtly ignored his sexist remarks for years but now it pierced through her so badly. She had ignored when he refused to promote her but showered attention on her male counterparts who had barely any finished cases on their tables. But now, she couldn't. It would have been preferable if he yelled or barked at her. What did her gender have to do with her giving her opinion.

“Sir, this is not what this is about. You're deflecting and trying to insult my area of expertise. I did well over the years and I didn't come this far to get reduced to my hormones or gender. I know Aderonke Williams quite well. She might be temperamental but she is not a murderer. She just got closure on her daughter. Why would s-she kill her late daughter's friend?"

Ada gulped as she watched her boss chuckle in mockery but she wasn't prepared for the words that fell off his lips

“I'm pulling you off this case, Ada."

“W-What? Sir, you can't do that to me. I have put so much into his case. " Ada began to yell.

“Can you see? You're already screaming your damn lungs at me like a nagging woman. I call the shots here not you. Are you aware of that? I'm not going to listen to your ramblings and don't you dare draw up a letter of displeasure. If you're very angry, you can drop your letter of resignation. There are many men who are ready to pick up the job."

Ada opened her mouth in shock and bit her bottom lip. Her breathing was unstable as she tried to speak but she found no words left to say. How would she prove Aderonke was innocent if she was off the case? How was she going to find a way around it if her crazy boss had already destroyed everything with his hands.

She then lifted her head and placed a shaking hand on the table.

“S-Sir you are making a big mistake. You gave me this case, " She started as her voice began to get emotional, “And you said I was capable. I found the killer. I did it. Why can't you let me finish it?"

“Ada, stop it. Just stop it. It won't make me give you back the case. You were very slow and sloppy on the case. You got yourself tangled with Aderonke Williams in question and now a child is dead. What makes you think she's innocent of it? What if you are just being bias and not being thorough? Just drop it and leave my office. "

Ada decided to go even further, “What do I do sir? What do I do to get this case back?"

The corners of Ada's face lifted into a frown as she noticed her boss lick his lips. She was further puzzled when he asked her to move closer so he could whisper in her ears. The warning signs in her head told her to leave his office but desperation took over as she moved her feet and edged closer to the fat pot-bellied D.P.O