The First Night Away

5 weeks later

"Come on Meredith, let's get you home." Derek stated as he helped Meredith stand up from the hospital bed. She had agreed to let him take care of her at her house for the next couple weeks since they had agreed to try the whole relationship thing over again. Meredith was still refusing therapy, against everyone's wishes and advice.

"I am not a baby, I can do it myself." Meredith said shortly. She was getting tired of the 'are you ok?' and 'do you need any help' questions. She stuck the same answer every time 'I'm fine, thank you'. That had been her answer when Derek offered to help her get up, but he help anyway.

"I know, but you still fragile"

"No, I am not." Meredith snapped, "Oh um, sorry. I know you just trying to help and be a good boyfriend. Not used to the dating thing as you have already established." She said in a more apologetic tone

"No Meredith it's really ok."

Meredith had noticed she had been feeling more on edge lately. Everyone kept telling her it was because she had yet to talk about what happened, but she didn't think so. She told herself she just had to keep moving and take the next day same as the last, just like she did before. She had a retine get up, stretch, go to the bathroom, shower, brush her teeth, get back in bed, do PT, read, and repeat. It was the same everyday, and she liked it that way. It kept her grounded.

At home

"Ok, where do you want to set up? On the couch or in the bed?" Derek asked

"Um, probably in my room." Meredith made sure to my room because she didn't want Derek getting any ideas that they were moving in together. She trusted him more, but not completely yet. She was still waiting for him to leave her like he did before, she that is was just a matter of time.

"Let's go then." Derek made sure to help her up the stairs because her leg was still in a brace, she could walk without crunches but moved painfully slow.

Once Derek helped her get settled into bed he went back downstairs to the car to grab her things. She didn't have a lot of stuff given the fact she was in hospital clothes the whole time. He went back upstairs to find her missing out of bed. He walked into the bathroom and saw her in front of the mirror lifting her shirt up slightly to look at the cuts and bruises still evident from the attack. She didn't seem to notice him standing there so he carefully walked away and sat on the bed like he didn't see a thing.

................................................................................................................................................................

Derek had just walked away to get the luggage, she immediately sat up and ran into the bathroom. Running over to the toilet she pulled her hair back and threw up. Nobody seemed to have noticed that she hadn't been eating her meals. When she was getting attacked the man had constantly told her she was fat. She didn't understand why, she thought she had always been skinny. Anyway, she always liked to have her mind focused on a project, something to do. Since she had nothing else to do, she decided to push herself and see how long she could go without eating. She got back up and walked over to the mirror. She lifted her shirt slightly to see her stomach. 'Bones, cuts, and bruises. This is what I have become' she thought to herself. She walked back out into her room and saw Derek sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Hi!" She said trying to sound more upbeat "I just needed to wash my hands, they felt all gross and sticky."

"Oh that's ok, are you going to go to bed now. It's kinda late." Derek said without indicating he saw her looking at herself.

"Uh, yeah I think so, I just need to change into my Pjs." Meredith said. Derek then got up to finish them out of her bag, that was one thing she requested he bring with him to to the hospital when she was there. The hospital ones were so uncomfortable. Derek found them and handed them to her.

"Here you go, I will go use the bathroom while you change." Derek walked into the bathroom knowing she didn't like when he saw her scars while changing. When she was done he came back out and helped her get into bed again. He pulled the covers over her and helped her move the pillows around her leg so it would slightly elevated while she slept. Then he left the room to sleep in one of the extra rooms, knowing full well Meredith didn't trust him enough yet to sleep in the same bed with her.

As soon as Derek left Meredith's room, she shot up. Suddenly it was like she had 10 cups of coffee, she was awake and alert. She slowly laid herself back down staring at the ceiling, watching the move, She then grabbed her phone to text Cristina to see if she was awake, it was only 9:30 so she assumed she would be.

'Hey, are you awake?'

'Yeah, why are you still up? I thought you be asleep given the fact you haven't slept in your own bed for awhile.'

'I know, I feel like I have just had ten cups of coffee tho'

'hahahaha, sometimes that happens to me. You lay down then all of sudden BOOM you're awake'

'It's so weird, plus Derek is being so overprotective, it's nice sometimes tho'

'He's Derek what do you expect, he's a good guy, you cantrus him you know. What he did before was a bad thing but the night of your attack, he was pretty shaken up, you could tell he really cared about you'

Meredith smiled at the fact Cristina thought he was a good guy and he cared. Having her approval of who she dates is like having the approval of her mother, not that Cristina was her mom but she wanted to have her support and like who she liked.

'Yeah, Yeah i know' Meredith replied to Cristina

'Meredith, I know you can't sleep but you really need to try'

'Ok, well then goodnight, thanks for always being there for me'

'night mer :)' Cristina responded

Meredith set her phone and laid her head back on the pillow. Almost immediately she fell asleep, texting Cristina was knowing she was safe helped her.

You little rat get back here, there is no escaping me. I have had my eye on you, but you keep ignoring my moves so looks like you will be regretting that right about now. He grabbed her waist holding her down, just looking at her.

Meredith woke up in a cold sweat. She opened her eyes and saw Derek looking at her.

"Ah! Oh my gosh Derek you scared me!" Meredith said fully coming to her senses

"Oh sorry I heard screaming and I was trying to wake you up. Are you ok? Bad dream?" Derek asked looking very concerned.

"Yeah bad dream, I am ok now." She glanced at the clock, 3 AM

"Do you need anything, maybe a water?" He asked

"No Der, I am ok. I just want to go back to sleep" She said holding back the tears. She wanted him to stay and hold her, like they did before Addison. 

"Um, I don't really know how to say this but, can you hold me. Like you did before Addison?" Meredith asked looking down at her feet, not wanting to make eye contact

"Of course, whatever make you feel safe." Derek said climbing into bed

Meredith turned around so that they were facing each other. She snuggled into his chest, while she was curled up in a ball. He then wrapped his arm over her, like he was protecting her from the otherside. He pulled the covers over them and he only relaxed when he heard her soft sonres coming from her. Only then did he slowly drift off to sleep himself.