A Most Valiant Steed

You soon emerged from the Kakariko Village graveyard bearing a Hylian Shield upon your arm and a curious-looking tool known as the Hookshot to its previous owner Dampe the gravekeeper. Navi floated by your side her wings looking somewhat droopy as if they were weighed by an unknown burden. Your heart went out to the fairy knowing her chosen companion was still recouping from his devasting wounds. "Link will be all right Navi rest assured," you murmured to her. Navi paused and looked towards you. "I know he will Y/N. I just wish I could have done something to protect him." You nodded understandingly. "Me too,  however, we won't do him any favors by wallowing in grief," you said. Navi froze as if contemplating your words. "Right we have to be strong for our friends." A small grin crossed your features. "In the meantime, we must hurry to the forest Saria is also depending on us."

      Navi spun around your head her wings now seeming to buzz with new refound hope. "I know how we can speed our travels. Link visited a ranch not far from here known as Lon Lon Ranch. It has many swift horses including one that I am sure is fully grown now. Link befriended the owner's daughter Malon including the young foal." Quirking an eyebrow in deep interest you listened to her story. "I can teach you the song that the horse Epona liked too." Navi finished excitedly. You reached for the Ocarina of Time and brought it to your lips. The fairy in a surprisingly beautiful voice hummed the notes to which you repeated on the Ocarina. "Great you learned Epona's Song Y/N. Let's go to Lon Lon Ranch, I'll lead the way." As Navi raced ahead of you towards the village's exit you ran by a house with a deep snore coming from within hardly paying it any mind. 

     Across Hyrule Field, you ran hoping to reach Lon Lon Ranch within a few hours before dusk approached. The ranch sat upon a great high hill overlooking the field and surrounded by vast walls with iron spires upon them. To you, it somewhat reminded you of the ramparts built into the Gerudo Fortress far in the desert. You entered the outskirts of the ranch greeted by the neighs of horses and lowing of cattle nearby. Navi glanced about as you passed through a set of copper gates bearing the symbols of horses. "I don't see Malon," Navi whispered gesturing towards the enclosed arena. You couldn't help but feel as if an evil presence hovered about the once peaceful ranch. 

    As you walked towards the arena you noticed a well-dressed gentleman with slick brown hair and a curved mustache standing before a familiar young woman with long red hair. "Now listen here Malon it's out of the goodness of my heart that I don't kick you off my ranch. When I give you an order I expect you to obey. Do I make myself clear?" The woman cast her gaze to the ground sadly. "Yes, Mr. Ingo." The man named Ingo grunted. "Now go get Epona ready for the King's visit. I want her in pristine condition." Malon hurried off towards the stables completely unaware of your presence. Ingo however had his sharp brown eyes trained in on you as if sizing you up. 

     He came forward clasping his hands behind his back. "Welcome to Ingo Ranch, my Lady. Have you come to partake in the fine riding of my horses?" You flashed e/c in feigned delight. " Oh yes, I have heard erm Ingo Ranch has the finest and the swiftest steeds." Ingo smiled somewhat greedily rubbing his calloused hands together. "Ahh Epona, she is a rare breed and very hard to tame. The great King has his eyes set upon her for his newest mount." Tilting your head you formed your next question. "Oh, what became of Phantom?" Ingo raised his eyebrows in surprise. " His horse passed on a year ago, though few knew the name of the King's mount." You flashed Ingo a shy smile as you explained your relationship to the King leaving out certain details. 

    Ingo attempted to keep his composure seeming to doubt your words. "My Lady I am sure everyone claim to know the great Ganondorf before his ascension to the throne." Unsure of how you were to offer proof Malon's gentle voice answered, "It's true Mr. Ingo I saw this woman riding with the Gerudo King many years ago when I went to Hyrule Castle Town with my Pa." You turned to see Malon leading a beautiful silver bay mare with a flaxen mane and tail. She wore no bridle nor reins but was dressed in an ornate saddle decorated with the Triforce symbol. Ingo blinked in disbelief then twirled his long mustache. "I never knew you to be a liar Malon and you have a very good memory it seems. I guess I'll have to take your word for it." Malon smiled kindly and nodded to you both as she turned the silver bay into the arena. "Thank you Mr. Ingo I'll be off to finish my chores." She departed quickly. The ranch owner mumbled in annoyance about kids needing to mind their own business before addressing you once more. "So My Lady seeing as you are quite close to the King I'll be happy to allow you a free session of riding."  

   Minutes later you were within the confines of the arena looking around at the available horses. Navi gestured to the silver bay grazing with her back to you. "That's Epona, remember the song I taught you." Nodding you raised the Ocarina of Time to your lips and softly played the horse's melody. Instantly Epona lifted her head anxiously then galloped in your direction. Your eyes lit up I wonder as she approached you as if she were greeting an old friend. Cautiously you patted her smooth dark nose earning a soft nicker from her. "Hello Epona, my name is Y/N. I am a friend of Link," you whispered. Epona neighed happily and pawed the ground. Navi fluttered about excitedly. "I think Epona likes you. Try mounting her." Recalling the instructions Ganondorf gave you all those years ago on proper mounting you were able to climb into the saddle without much hassle. For the next hour, you rode Epona about the arena communicating internally with her which direction to take. She leaped over the practice hurdles causing you to grip the horn tightly. Soon you were able to ride more confidently trusting her every move all the while under Ingo's curious gaze. 

    "Hey young lady, you are improving vastly. How would you like to race with me?" You halted Epona carefully near Ingo. "A race sure why not?" Ingo rubbed his hands in that same greedy manner. " Let's add a little wager, shall we? You win ...I'll let you keep the horse." Glancing towards the stables where Malon had disappeared to a thought came to your mind. "Alright, but let's sweeten the pot." Ingo quirked his brow at this. "If I win I get to keep Epona and you have to return the ranch over to Malon." Ingo pondered this for a while until he snapped his beady eyes back at you. "You're on." 

    Moments later you and Ingo were situated before a painted line on the ground, you upon Epona while the ranch owner chose a chestnut bay. Malon stood nearby acting as the race's overseer. Ingo leaned over to you smiling wickedly. "Just so you know young lady I never lost a race before." You ignored the cocky attitude and just stared forward determined to win this. "On your mark, get set ... GO!" Malon shouted waving her arm. Ingo let out a wild cry and sprung into action. Epona charged forward battling her opponent for the lead as they raced neck and neck. Eventually, the silver bay pulled ahead causing you to cheer and lean forward in the saddle with confidence. You and Epona were able to maintain a decent pace for the next two laps leaving Ingo flustered and angry in the dust. As you crossed the finish line you heard another cheer ring from Malon. 

     You halted Epona gently and waited for Ingo at the finish line. The ranch owner approached fuming and his large nostrils flaring. "What's up with that horse?  How did you tame Epona right under my nose? I was going to present her to the great Ganondorf ...but I bet it on the race and lost. Shoot!" You smirked at Ingo. "I am sure the King will forgive you in time Ingo."  The ranch owner urged his horse towards the iron gates as he turned a nasty smile upon you. "Hahaha, as promised I will let you keep the horse ...however I'll never let you leave this ranch." At these words, the gates shut barring your only exit out. "What do we now Y/N?" Navi asked. You glanced about the ranch until you noticed the eastern wall looming ahead. Whisking Epona about you urged her into a mighty canter towards the battlement. Navi clung to your shoulder shrieking in fear. "We're not going to make it!" 

     Epona with a massive leap sung in the legendary feats cleared the eastern wall only to land safely on the other side of Hyrule Field. The valiant steed galloped a few more paces before rearing and trumpeting triumphantly. You leaned over and stroked her mane lovingly. "Nice work Epona you're free now." The silver bay nickered to you as if giving you her thanks. "If you are willing Epona would you be able to aid me in my quest?" you asked meeting her soft brown eyes. She acknowledged you with a single snort. "I'll take that as a yes." You aimed her in the direction of the forest and rode off. 

A/N: What's a hero without their horse?