A Promise To Keep

A/N Hey everyone so I have more research to do before I begin my other fanfiction which will center around the Phantom of the Opera. In the meantime, I was struck with a bolt of inspiration for this next chapter. Enjoy!

******************************************************************************************

         Outside the castle gates, a groom had Phantom saddled and bridled for Ganondorf who was eager to depart. You cast him a curious gaze as to his sudden agitation. In your inner thoughts, you surmised that it was possible his audience with the King of Hyrule did not go accordingly. You were tempted to inquire about this but your common sense reminded you this may not be the most appropriate time. Instead, you stretched your arms towards the bright blue sky letting out a tiny yawn. 

        "The weather feels lovely out here," you stated. Ganondorf turned to you furrowing his heavy brows. "That may be but it's unfortunate my people will not experience it," you heard him mumble. Unsure on how to reply you placed a comforting hand on his forearm. " I am sure that one day you can find a way for the Gerudo and the Hylians to coexist peacefully, Lord Dragmire." Ganondorf peered down at you in pure astonishment as if he did not expect you to impart such kindness to him. He knelt down to your level sighing heavily. "At this point, I am not so sure Y/N. Now is not the time or place to speak of such things. We must depart at once." 

       Soon you were reseated in the saddle with Ganondorf riding behind you and guiding Phantom with concentrated ease. It was not long before you left the bustling town behind and emerged into the green rolling hills of Hyrule Field. Halting Phantom suddenly, Ganon turned his direction southwestern pondering. "Why did you stop," you ask holding tightly to the horse's neck. The King did not respond instead he flicked the reins ushering Phantom into a slow canter. As you traveled along for about half a day you could see the outline of treetops spreading before you on the low horizon. Your e/c orbs widened as you recognized this as the entrance to your native homeland, the Lost Woods. "Home," you whispered softly. 

        Ganon leaned forward chuckling deeply behind you. " I do have a promise to honor my dear." A blush crept upon your cheeks as you realized how close he had come to you. Letting out a light squeak you swallowed hard, feeling your heart hammering in your chest. "Of course," you answered. Nudging Phantom with his heels Ganon increased the horse's speed causing the forest entry to draw nearer. They soon crossed the great bridge that spanned the Lost Woods and the Kokiri Forest Village. The King drew the cowl of his cloak over his head to hide his face in case any of the natives recognized him from his previous visit. 

      Some of the Kokiri children seemed to have noticed you in particular and bowed politely as you rode passed them. Out of one of the tree stump houses, a tiny figure dressed in and a pointy hat rushed forward and blocked your path. He placed one authoritative hand up motioning Phantom to halt while his other hand rested on his hip. Phantom reared up neighing fiercely nearly causing Ganondorf to topple to the ground. You quickly placed a comforting hand on the horse's neck and began speaking soothingly to him. By the time you calmed Phantom down Ganondorf had regained his seat in the saddle. You recognized the figure as Mido leader of the Kokiri folk. 

       "Hey you just who are you to come trespassing into our village?" he demanded puffing out his chest. Ganondorf let out a growl as he reached down to draw the sword at his side however you immediately intervened by taking his hand into your own. "Let me take care of this," you muttered to the King. Ganondorf at first hesitated before he finally succumbed. "As you wish, after all, there is no need for bloodshed." You smiled almost sweetly at him before you dismounted and approached Mido. 

     "Greetings Mido I am Y/N the Guardian Spirit of the Lost Woods." Mido's orange eyebrows rose sharply. "Ohh Great Spirit I ... didn't realize ..." he stammered. A merry giggle escaped your throat. "I am afraid you caused my companion's horse a fright. You see I am on an important quest with my companion and I have returned to pay my respects to Saria," you explained kindly. Mido immediately changed his bossy expression to one of forced humility. "Ahh yes Saria, she is in the Lost Woods in her usual spot," he replied with a quick bow.  You nodded in acknowledgment. "Thank you," you motioned for Ganon to follow, leaving a flabbergasted Mido behind. Ganondorf smirked to himself somewhat impressed with your diplomatic tongue. 

     No sooner had you entered the Lost Woods did Ganon dismount Phantom and remove the hood. "Go find your friend, Phantom and I will wait for you in the glade over there," he gestured to a wide-open clearing with two lone tree stumps rising from the ground. "Not afraid I will run off?" you asked folding your arms. Ganondorf merely chuckled. "I think you rather relish the idea of being near me Y/N. I trust you will return to me once your visit is over," the King answered smirking. Your face turned a bright red. "I ... well ... I," you stuttered somewhat. Ganondorf burst into fits of hearty laughter. "Loss for words I see, Y/N. That's alright I have grown fond of you too." Shooting a mortified glare at the King you turned and stalked away from him. 

     You traversed along the familiar path of the Lost Woods towards the Sacred Forest Meadow attempting to wave off Ganon's earlier words. You found the King of the Gerudos to be utterly brutish in order for him to get his ways something you greatly detested. However on the other hand there were times when the King could be quite charming and civil depending on his mood. You merely shook your head and kept walking until you reached the Sacred Forest Meadow. 

       It did not take you long to wind your way through the great maze leading to the grand courtyard entrance. Sitting at the base of the Forest Temple on a tree stump playing her ocarina in pure bliss was your friend Saria. You slowly approached her your footfalls hardly making any sound upon the sweet dewy grass. Not wishing to interrupt her playing you waited politely until she finished. The Kokiri smiled widely her blue eyes sparkling in your direction. "I've been waiting for you, Y/N," she said softly. 

        A heavy sigh escaped from your lips. "Hello, Saria," you greeted her returning a smile of your own.  Saria stood and wrapped her arms around you tightly. "I missed you. When I heard you had gone, I feared the worst," she whispered. You gently hugged her. "I am fine Saria," you reassured your friend. "Where have you been?" she asked earnestly. "Why don't we sit and I will tell you." After making yourself comfortable on the ground, you told your entire tale to Saria.  

      The young Kokiri girl listened intently until you were finished. Her mouth was somewhat agape and her eyes wide. "So you have been tasked by Princess Zelda to help save Hyrule?" You nodded once. Saria's expression appeared crestfallen. "That means you will be away longer, same as Link."  You glanced ahead unable to reply for some time. Saria soon broke the silence with a lighthearted giggle. " That's ok though because we will always be friends no matter the distance. In fact, I want to give you something special so that you can remember me." Saria handed you her ocarina. 

      Your e/c eyes grew as large as saucers upon this action. "Your ocarina ... I can't accept that Saria,"  you stuttered. Saria grinned from ear to ear. "I want you to have this because it reminds me of our first meeting. Don't worry I am carving a new one for myself. Please take it." Hesitantly you drew the ocarina into your hand. "Thank you, Saria I will cherish this always."  Saria bowed her head solemnly. "When you play my song you will be able to talk to me as well, so it will be like I am at your side."  You smiled lightly at her comment and tucked the ocarina protectively into the folds of your robe. 

     You noticed the shadows of the trees had shifted and the tiny cracks of sunlight were fading. Ganondorf would be waiting for your arrival at the entrance to the Lost Woods. You were not eager to test his patience should he decide to come looking for you. "Saria, I have to go now," you told her in a melancholy voice. Saria nodded in acknowledgment and placed a hand over her heart. "I know someday that you and Link will return. This place is very important to us that is what I feel." She embraced you tightly as your arms wrapped around her. "Until we meet again Saria," you whispered. As you departed from the Sacred Forest Meadow Saria stared after you a solitary tear running down her cheek.