The Curse of a Gift

-anathema-
a sci-fi novel
trikxster

⁠-
a·nath·e·ma
/əˈnaTHəmə/

❛something or someone that one vehemently dislikes.❜
⁠-

dulce periculum ⁠-

⁠-danger is sweet

▪ the opening of curtains ▪

Seven years ago, a nuclear explosion happened in Akihabara, Japan. Thousands of people died and Japan suffered from the loss for months. A year after that, the first cursed person appeared. A twenty-one year old delivery boy set a house on fire because of his client's insults. Police didn't believe it at first, saying it was a manned crime. However, no evidence were found. Nothing started the fire, except for the boy itself.

The first ability to surface. The first of many to come.

Different magical powers were then witnessed in the streets of Japan, until it escaped the borders before a lockdown was established. Ability users appeared in every parts of the globe. From simple creation of water to controlling time. Crimes then began to rise and people speculated that it was all the work of ability-users.

Humans, who were bewitched by the workings of magic, are still a bunch of cowards who lashes against things far from their understanding. It terrifies them - the people who can wield abilities. It is not the apple of their interest anymore, nor a passion to sought. Now, it is something they detest.

Military officials were sent out to search and capture the ability-users. They were then sent to government laboratories for research and experiments. However, the results did not go as expected. There were no origins found. No proper explanation.

And so, they called the abilities a curse.

An anathema.

And people who wield them are called... monsters. Freaks of nature.

Treated harshly.

Isang sampal ang binitawan sa pisngi ng isang bata. Nahulog siya sa sahig na hawak-hawak ang pisngi habang sinubukan naman siyang sipa-sipain sa tiyan. Umaagos ang luha sa mata niya dahil sa matinding sakit at desperasyon na hindi makalaban. At nangyari lamang lahat ng 'to dahil sa pagpalabas niya ng kaniyang ability.

Her trembling hands clenched into a tight fist. These fucking clan. She will make sure to bring the pain back to them, tenfold, in a way they will never imagine.

After all, what's more effective than destroying a whole family from the inside?

Insulted.

"Putangina!" a vase passed a child's face, breaking when it hit the wall and the flying shards cutting off her skin. "Tangina, wala ka talagang tulong! Kung wala lang ang putanginang ability mo na 'yan, sana matagal na lang kitang pinatay! Tangina! Kailan ka ba kukunin ng gobyerno dahil maganda kita do'n. Wala akong makukuha sa'yo, peste!"

Her so called father's saliva flew because of his loud and unsanitary shouts. Pinanatili ng bata ang mababa niyang tingin. She's itching to get out of here and to take off this mask they placed in her face. To be with someone who can make her feel free.

To be with him.

Violated.

A teenage girl stiffened when a hand caressed her shoulders. Dahan-dahan itong bumaba hanggang sa dumapo ang kamay niya. Her hands were tied in the chairs, the harsh touch of the rope scarring her skin. Ibinaba niya ang tingin nang maghiyawan ang mga taong nanonood. Hot tears welled up in her eyes. Fuck. They were looking at her as if she wasn't a human being but a toy to be used and sold.