Chapter 28

Chapter 28

To say Meri's family enjoyed their visit to Santa's Village was a massive understatement. Meri had never seen her parents so relaxed and happy. Mia had a blast doing all of the snow activities that she never got to enjoy as a child living in the tropical heat of Australia.

At the end of the week, where Meri's parents sat drinking egg nog with Sander's parents cheerfully, Meri knew that none of her family wanted to go home. Santa's Village had delivered a magical delight and it pleased Meri immensely.

Meri stood atop a snow drift and looked out over the forever glowing Santa's Village. Elves strolled from shop to shop, while the elf children played in the streets with happy grins. It was such a relaxing atmosphere and gave her such a warm sense of happiness.

"It's lucky you never run out of snow," Meri mused to Sander, as she saw Mia skiing down another slope.

"I must say that I never expected this amount of enthusiasm in Mia," Sander replied with a laugh,

"She's not always angry. The first time she met you she had a reason for her anger. She thought you'd hurt me, which you had at the time."

"We are better now. You have forgiven me, haven't you?" Sander asked with doubt obscuring his previous joy.

"Sander, I've moved into your home, and I'm changing dimensions to be with you. Of course I've forgiven your previous actions," Meri reassured him and he released a long breath.

"That is very good to know," he said as he put his arms around her.

"I'm not sure if mum, dad or Mia ever want to leave now that they're here," Meri said as she watched her best friend ski over to her.

"They will leave the moment the rush begins due to its overwhelming ferocity. It will scare them away," Sander grew sad as he stared at Meri.

"Because you think that I'll leave with them," Meri spoke her realisation aloud, knowing that Sander believed his words.

"You haven't experienced the stress of the rush, so I have no awareness of your reaction. I do fear that it will be too much for you."

Meri pulled away from Sander's comforting embrace to frown at him. Why did he have such little faith in her? She knew the Christmas rush here would undoubtedly be a very different experience for her, but she wanted to be a part of it. She wanted to know all of Sander's world, the good, the bad and the most stressful.

"Why do you always think of me in such a negative light? Let me experience the rush first before you get carried away with how I'm going to cope, or that I'm going to run screaming back to my own dimension," Meri crossed her arms and faced him.

"I meant no offence, but I know all about the craziness of the rush. It exhausts all of us."

"Sander, I know that you've suffered a lot of rejection in your life, but you've got to stop seeing it around every corner. I'm choosing to be here and I'm the one choosing to deal with the rush. You need to give me that chance before assuming that I'll leave. People need to have a chance."

Meri softened when she realised that Sander had overreacted. He tended to always think that anyone would get up and leave him. She knew she had to steer him away from thinking about such rejection, especially when she didn't intend to reject him.

Sander never gave her a reply. Mia had skied down the slope and flicked a drift of snow towards them so it danced in flurries. Meri spluttered and turned her frown to her eager friend.

"Must you?" Meri exclaimed as she swept the snow off her and glowered at Mia.

"Sure, otherwise I may not get the attention of you lovebirds," Mia replied with a cheeky glint in her eyes.