Chapter 15

Chapter 15

It was later that night, after another pampering session from the elves, that Meri found herself clothed in an ethereal outfit. The dress had so many floaty layers of silvery glitter, as well as a long cape of purple velvet, which was the only thing that weighed the outfit down.

Meri couldn't wait to see where Sander intended to take her. Knowing he had to take the the other women on dates after her, she knew that her date couldn't be that long. Still, she had never felt more beautiful than she did in this glittery, gossamer gown.

"Are you ready, Meri?" Holly asked.

"As ready as I could ever be, thanks to your wonderful handiwork," Meri gestured down to her gorgeous gown.

"I'm going to warn you now that the other contestants will be in the same spot where I'm taking you, because that's the place of the date."

"Are you trying to tell me that I won't have a minute of privacy?"

"Yes," Holly winced but continued speaking. "This is something we celebrate in the same way every year. The place will have every elf that helped out over the Christmas rush."

It was only then that Meri noticed Holly was also fancily dressed. Meri had been staring at her own dress for so long that she hadn't noticed anything else.

Holly's dress had a subtly that Meri's could never have. A deep green with a wide golden belt and soft layers that fell to her knees. When she compared them, Meri knew that her dress with its sweetheart neckline, long elegant sleeves and a small train behind her, spoke volumes of princess glamour.

"You look great," Meri said with a smile to Holly.

"Thank you. This is one of the only times that we dress up," Holly replied as she peered at herself in the mirror.

"What exactly is this celebration about?"

"The end of the rush season."

"Meri, are you there?" Sander's voice interrupted their discussion as he knocked on the door.

"Yes, what's up?" Meri replied.

"I am here to escort you to our end of season ball," Sander declared.

Meri opened the door and greeted him with a cheerful smile. For a long moment, they took in each other's appearance. Sander's suit of green and red would, on any other man, appear utterly ridiculous. With its impeccable tailoring and prefect fit, he looked dreamy, even with his untamed hair and slightly askew glasses.

"Wow, don't you scrub up well?" Meri said with a glowing smile.

"As do you. This is quite a different outfit to what we normally wear, but you look stunning," Sander said as he pointed between his and Holly's Christmas colours to Meri's glistening silver gown.

"Thank you. I fell like a princess in this wonderful dress. I love it, not matter what colour it is," Meri said as she smoothed a hand along her gown.

"You are an ethereal fairy, minus the wings," Sander said earnestly and Meri preened at his focus. She loved his comment that left her feeling more beautiful.

"We've got to go. They can't start without you," Holly interrupted.

Sander held out his arm to Meri, who happily slid her hand into his. Excitement bloomed in her chest as she looked up at Sander. She could tell that he tried to calm his floppy hair, but it still fell over his face in the most endearing manner. As usual, he pushed his glasses up onto his nose and she could only wonder why she found that so appealing.