Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Almost a week after Sander had suggested the key to your heart ceremony, Meri found herself standing in front of him. Her outfit had just as much glowing gold as what Sander's did, and she felt a tad ridiculous.

They had to complete the ceremony outside because that was how any key to your heart ceremony worked, or at least that's what Sander had told her. The number of elves that oversaw their ceremony had stunned Meri. All she could see was the red and green that every elf wore. She saw waving hands and happy smiling faces, which became a blur when there were so many.

Meri expected to freeze in her gold only outfit, but the wind had dropped. The snow had ceased falling and it was the warmest day she'd ever experienced at Santa's Village. The weather had chosen to participate today as much as everything else.

"Come forward," Santa's voice made Meri focus back on the proceedings.

As a group they all stood with the backdrop showing the gigantic tress that always lit up at dusk. It was the first spot where Meri had met Sander, and she thought it an auspicious place for them to complete a joining of their love together.

Santa wore his usual red and white that stood out against the deeper green of the trees. Adding in the two different shades of gold that Meri and Sander wore made the area sparkle with a kaleidoscope of glittery brightness.

The trees stood with their majestic beauty and Meri knew she'd never forget this moment in amongst the beauty of nature and the beaming faces surrounding her. A whisper of wind through the trees and the resin smell of pine blended with the gingery aroma of Sander's creating a delightful blend of scents.

Sander stepped forward and Meri followed him eagerly. Together they glimmered in the sunlight that now beamed down upon them. Exclamations of astonishment echoed around. It wasn't often that the sun showed its face in the land of snow and ice known as Santa's Village. All found an awe in its very appearance.

"Today even our sun warms the presence of this joining," Santa said as he waved Meri and Sander even closer.

Once Sander and Meri stood in front of Santa, he grinned so widely at them. That grin comforted Meri, while managing to remind her of the steps the ceremony needed to take. She needed that reminder because saying the words wrong could lead to disaster, or so she'd been told.

"Welcome all to this joining of hearts as one," Santa sung the words in a soft voice that boomed out to the furthest elf. Magic was a wonderful thing. "Today is the day where the keys of two hearts will become one. They will unlock to join together as one," Santa's words now were almost a chant and a hushed reverence filled the air.

Meri's nerves had grown now that her part edged ever closer. Her hands started to shake and she tried to clear her throat without making a noise and failed.

Meri wanted with all of her heart to be with Sander. She also knew that if you didn't go into this with all of your heart then it wouldn't work. The worst part was that it could damage the other person in the ceremony if the hearts weren't given freely and openly.

From the audience that had been all silence came a hum. The hum of one elf started, and soon the hum filed the air and vibrated against Meri's very being. It made her thrum, and threw her nerves away from her. She knew what she needed to do, and she would speak with concise and confident words.

Everyone in Santa's Village wanted this ceremony to occur. She could feel the anticipation in the hum, which grew and lulled in a gentle rhythm. This meant a lot to everyone present and that warmed Meri's soul.

"Please turn to each other and touch each other's heart," Santa made a gesture, so Meri faced Sander.

Her eyes darted to his and she found comfort in their turquoise depths. When he smiled, it was a smile she recalled from the first time she met him. Before she knew about the crazy show that had brought her here, and before Meri managed to send herself home with the magical suction, she recalled that smile.