Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Meri found herself heading to the appointed spot for the second date with her mind swirling. Sander's Match-a-Matic machine had made a match between her and Sander. Unfortunately, it had also given him Ivy as a match and that proved hard to swallow.

Sander hadn't said much since he'd made the discovery of his 'matches'. Meri also didn't know what to say as she grappled with their realisation. It led to a growing silence between them that had turned awkward.

At least with Holly talking, Meri could listen without any interaction. As they moved closer to picking up the other women, Meri realised that she had a lot of questions that she wanted answered from the one woman who continued talking.

"Holly, how did the the other competitors arrive here for the show?" Meri asked bluntly and Holly paused with what she had started to say.

"Why do you want to know?" Holly deflected her questions and Meri raised her brows.

"Let's see, I arrived in Santa's Village by sleigh, yet none of the other women did. I'm staying at the hotel while they're out at the freezing lake. Every woman, bar me, knew they were here to be a part of the show when I thought I was here for a holiday. Do I have to keep going?" Meri's many questions dragged Sander from his thoughts.

"I've wondered many of these things myself. Please answer her, Holly," Sander pointed to a now twitching Holly.

"It wasn't my idea!" Holly exclaimed.

"I never suggested that it was, all I asked for were answers," Meri added.

"Out of all of them, you're the only one who stayed nice as a grown up. Did you know that, Meri?" Holly asked and Meri shook her head. "We couldn't let them have free rein around Santa's Village. Who knows what trouble they could've caused. Santa used an Imag-o-Toy wish so that they could only enter the Village when we wanted them too. Once they are here we have less control, which is why I try to keep everyone together," Holly sounded relieved to admit these things.

"Are you saying they're at home unless they're here doing show stuff?" Meri asked incredulously.

"Yes."

"Why am I here? Why didn't I know about the show?"

"Meri, if I told you that your trip to Santa's Village was all about the show, what would you have said?" Holly asked dryly.

"I wouldn't have come here," Meri admitted.

"Exactly. You have no need to chase the attention or celebrity that these other women seek."

"But why am I at the hotel and they're down at the lake?"

"I can answer that one," Sander interrupted. "The building would be a part of the Imag-o-Toy wish. It exists in both dimensions but it would only appear visible in yours when Holly told the women to turn up."

"Okay, so I'm the only stranger here all of the time," Meri asked and it left her with an odd loneliness.

"You're not a stranger anymore, Meri. Most of us have gotten to know you," Holly replied cheerily.

"I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing."

"We don't have time to discuss anymore. The other contestants await us," Holly gestured to where the sleigh had pulled up with relief etched into her features.

"I haven't finished my questions," Meri firmed her voice and a gulp escaped Holly.

"Later," Holly said with a cherry wave as she dashed for the building.