Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"What are you doing in here, Ivy?" Meri asked as she determinedly faced the woman.

"Did you know something? This might work out much more fortuitous. It should be pretty easy to turn things my way," Ivy sounded as if she had a great idea, but Meri couldn't fathom what it was.

"Answer my question. What are you doing in here?" Meri emphasised every word as she stepped closer.

"With it being only you in here, I guess I can tell you the truth. Sander won't ever have to know, because I sure as heck won't tell him, and if I work it right he won't believe you anyway," Ivy chortled and that made Meri uneasy.

"That doesn't answer my question."

"You're good, Meri, insufferably good to the point where I can't deal with it anymore," Ivy made a dismissive noise.

"There's nothing wrong with being good," Meri found herself stung by Ivy suggesting that being a nice person was the worst thing in the world.

"That stupid goodness draws in people like Sander, and overwhelms them until they can't see anything else. The second he chose you for that last dance was when I knew that he wouldn't choose me again. I'm an afterthought in his head and nothing I do will change that," Ivy snapped as her frustration came to life.

"So? What's that got to do with you being in here?"

"If I can't have Sander, I'm at least going to make sure that I get my prize," Ivy shrugged with a carefree abandon, and Meri struggled to keep up with her change of mood.

"Your prize?" Meri had to ask.

"I'm not coming here to endure all of this nonsense," Ivy sneered at the world outside of the building they were in. "And not receive a reward."

"You think you deserve a reward for coming here?"

"Ever since you two had your secretive chat about these beauties, I've been figuring out a plan."

The cold triumph in Ivy's tone bothered Meri. One thing bothered her a lot more. How did Ivy know about the Imag-o-Toy? Meri certainly hadn't mentioned it to anyone, let alone conniving Ivy.

"How do you know anything about Santa's Workshop?" Meri asked in a quiet voice, knowing that she wouldn't like the answer.

"I've came to the realisation that this world is actually here, it's not just a set up for the show. The moment that dawned on me, I started to stay here instead of going back down to the lake. It was quite early on too.

"Holly thinks she taken me back a few times when I simply stepped out of the sleigh when she wasn't looking. I've stayed here to look at the behind the scenes. How else could I check out this place? They gave me the opportunity and, bam, I took it." Ivy's grin became a dark, greedy evil that made Meri shiver.

"You want to steal children's Christmas presents. What's wrong with you?"

"Did you miss the bit where I said I overheard you and Sander talking about these machines? I know that whatever makes them work has no limits because that's what Sander said," Ivy replied smugly.

Meri cursed under her breath. Ivy knew the truth of the Imag-o-Toy and that was a terrible thing. Nothing could stop her from stealing all the wishes that she ever wanted. Meri decided to try and divert the topic of conversation.

"Why didn't you steal the wishes after you saw us here? Why are you doing it now when the whole of Santa's Village is out there in the snow searching for you?" Meri demanded.