Chapter 2

Chapter2

Somewhere in the future

Meri Cormon couldn't contain her excitement. She had won a trip, not to just any place, but Santa's village. Even as an orphan she had loved Christmas. She hadn't often received many presents, but she always appreciated any gift offered to her. Every year now, she made sure to give to the needy, especially at Christmas.

Meri had been one of the fortunate ones and a family had adopted her when she was twelve. For the rest of her teenage years, her family had pampered her and made every Christmas incredibly special.

Knowing she had won a trip to Santa's village had her heart racing and joy singing through her veins. It made this years Christmas more than just shiny and bright, but much closer to dazzling.

Meri stood outside her apartment at the allocated time and waited. She flipped her honey brown hair back from her face and peered around. She hadn't put on her winter coat with the sunshine keeping her warm.

She could only wonder how she would get to Santa's Village. What would they have planned when she arrived? It thrilled her to think of the Christmas cheer that she could spread this year.

The earthy scent of animals filled her nose and Meri glanced around the busy city street. Seeing a red and golden sleigh, led by an abundance of reindeer coming towards her made her drop her bag. They were going all out for her and that excited her. The first reindeer even had a red nose!

Meri stifled a squeal and stared at the animals in wonder. Their breath huffed out of them as they glided towards her. Meri's eyes then caught on the sled in all its glory. The gold that gilded the sleigh glowed in the sunshine. Plush red velvet smoothed over the interior with plump green and gold cushions begging for her to sit upon them.

"Meri Cormon?" a voice asked.

Meri had concentrated so hard on the beauty of the reindeers and the sled that she had missed the fancy sleigh pulling up beside her. Meri's light brown eyes darted to the carriage and her other bag dropped from her limp fingers.

"Um, yes, hello, I'm Meri Cormon," she stuttered.

An elf jumped down from the large, opulent sleigh and Meri grinned. Someone actually went to the bother of dressing up as an elf and she loved it!

The green costume included a peaked hat with everything trimmed in red, which looked adorable. The elf was a tall, thin woman with a cheery face, sparkling green eyes, dark hair and bright red spots on her cheeks. She was the epitome of elf right down to her pointy ears.

"This is so wonderful!" Meri declared as she clutched her hands to her chest.

"It fills my heart to see you enjoying our hospitality," the elf replied with a soft smile.

"Can I know your name?"

"I'm Holly. Let me help you store your things," Holly picked up the bags that Meri had dropped.

"Thank you."

"Come and take a seat," Holly waved her onto the sleigh.

Meri stared at the intricate beauty that faced her. Christmas cheer filled the sleigh and when she sat, the comfort of the chair surrounded her with warmth.

"Santa's Village," Holly called and the sleigh lurched forwards.

As they began to move, Meri grew impossibly tired. When she found herself lying down on those plush cushions, Meri didn't think to question anything. Her eyes closed as the world swirled around her.

The sleigh jolted as if it landed from a great height. Meri came awake with a funny noise and glanced around her curiously as she yawned.

"Here we are, Meri, delivered safe and sound." Holly's voice made Meri push into a sitting position.