Chapter Fifty-Five

The streets were silent when Josephine returned to Watery Lane. The only sound was the running engine of the car which quickly departed after Josephine stepped out.

Alone for probably the first time since before Christmas, Josephine took a few moments for herself, breathing in the fresh air and allowing the slightly chilly air wash over her. She looked up at the night sky and smiled at the few stars that were in the sky, somehow it comforted her but at the same time a wave of disappointment washed over her, somehow the sky was different than the one they had at home. Josephine knew they were the same but it felt like day and night.

Josephine took one last deep breath before she made her way into the house, making sure that she was as quiet as possible since it was highly likely that Theodore was sleeping.

When she entered the living room she found Tommy slumped on the sofa, whiskey in hand as he mindlessly stared into the fireplace and she joined him after she took off her coat and heels.

Tommy jumped out of whatever zone he was in when she sat next to him and it was clear that he was deep within his head since he jolted in shock when she settled next to him.

Tommy ran his eyes over her, checking for any injuries and when he was sure she was okay, he took her hand in his and pressed a few kisses to the back of her hand.

"Everything go well?"

Josephine shifted uncomfortably, wanting to pull off the dress now more than but she wanted to tell Tommy what had happened before she did.

"He offered me a deal. Mine, Teddy's and pappas lives in exchange for yours."

Tommy gave her a thigh a comforting squeeze as he nodded along to her words before he let out a small scoff, "He's smart, I'll give him that"

"He said that he's only offering because of previous events. Say's that it's only fair"

"He's repaying the debt"

Josephine rolled her eyes, "I had to convince him to include Teddy, so he's not that smart if he thought I'd accept a deal that would allow my infant son to die."

"So you accepted the deal right?"

Josephine silently nodded as she looked at Tommy from the corner of her eyes and her shoulders relaxed when he let out a pleased hum,

"Good, he's going to think you're on his side now, probably try to get you to lure me into a trap"

Josephine nodded before she sat forward and turned her back to Tommy, wanting the conversation to be over with, " Can you help me with my dress?"

Tommy didn't verbally answer but she soon felt his warm hands on her back as he helped her unzip her dress. Once she had pulled it off she chucked it on the other chair before she wrapped a blanket around herself before settling next to Tommy, cuddling into his side.

"How was Teddy?"

"Almost certain that he missed you. He refused to go down so I just carried him around until he fell asleep ."

"For the last few weeks, I'm pretty much the only person he's seen regularly, he just wasn't used to it"

"He's a stubborn thing" Tommy grumbled, not completely impressed with the explanation.

Josephine couldn't help but smile at that, "Guess who he got it from?"

Tommy didn't rise to the bait but he did play along, " I know full well where he got it from, he got it from his mum"

Tommy let out a small laugh and Josephine quickly joined him and they laughed for a few moments.

"Tommy, I remember when John forgot to respond to a letter and you straight up ignored him for four whole days. When we had dinner at Polly's you acted like he didn't exist"