Chapter Sixty-Six

Josephine returned to the room her family was in and stood next to Tommy, watching as the children played together. Her heart bled for Freya, the young girl was visibly neglected and abused and Josephine didn't want to leave her in another care home even if Tommy assured her that she would be better there, she didn't trust them.

"I don't want her to go to another care home, I don't trust them" Josephine aired her concerns to her husband

"Josephine, it would be a home that we run. The people there are better and we can get daily check-ins."

Josephine wasn't convinced.

"Tommy, I want to take her home. She'll be safe there and she won't be ostracised and we have enough space." She argued.

Tommy gave her a sharp look before tugging her out of the hospital room into the hallway.

"Think about what you're suggesting for a moment. We bring her to our home and she bonds with the kids and then she gets adopted and we'll have to rip her away from everything." Tommy argues back

"She won't get adopted Tommy" Josephine deflates, "You and I both know that."

There was a pause before Tommy spoke, "So you want us to adopt her?"

"...I don't know. I just don't want her somewhere where she isn't safe and that's not too much to ask for."

Tommy heaved a sigh and ran his hand through his hair, "So you want to take in both a recovering Bonnie and Freya? What about Johnny Dogs?"

Josephine rolled her eyes, "Johnny Dogs is fine, he can go back to his family"

"It'll be a tight fit"

"I can handle it. Trust me."

"I trust you. I've never not, I just don't want you to be overwhelmed, we've got enough on our plate.

"It's not like I'll be doing this completely by myself. We have nannies, chefs, drivers and anything else we could ask for. We could even hire a home nurse for Bonnie if it's needed but either way, we're not doing this by ourselves.

Tommy stared down at her knowing that she was right but he still hesitated on agreeing with her. There was a chance that things were going to get dangerous and he already had her and their children to worry about but adding another child to the mix and a seriously injured man makes things a bit more complicated. Honestly, there weren't many other options, Josephine was right about Freya not being safe in other care homes, even in ones that they personally ran and Bonnie didn't have a place to recover in as a caravan wasn't exactly the best place.

Tommy released a sigh and nodded, "Just...be careful. You'll never know what might happen."

Josephine gave him a smile and reached up to give him a peck on the lips, "I will. Thank you"

They returned to Freya's hospital with the promise to return the next day and seeing the doubt and fear etched across the poor girl's face nearly made Josephine turn around and stay with her for the night but she had to remind herself that she was going home to set up a bedroom for her.

.•° ✿ °•.

When she and Tommy returned the next day, Freya almost jumped out of her bed in elation when she saw them and Josephine was sure she would never forget her reaction when they told her that she would be coming to live with them in the meantime. Even though it was a temporary stay, Josephine had a feeling that it would last a lot longer than expected.

Freya was in awe when they arrived at their house and Josephine was reminded about the privileged life they lived. They most certainly did not grow up that day but Tommy provided them with a plentiful life.