Chapter Fifty-Four

The next morning, Josephine and Tommy were talking over cups of tea. Tommy was telling her about the events that happened the day before, filling her in about how Arthur got ambushed by a few Italians and his meeting with Jessie Eden before they moved to discuss the plan for that evening.

There weren't going to be any traps laid, Tommy won't be nearby and Josephine's only role was to meet with Luca and listen to what he wants. She had to go along with whatever he was suggesting but she wasn't completely sure that she wouldn't be harmed but Tommy thought otherwise. He didn't believe that Luca would kill her, he told her that it's not how the mafia did it, especially not with wives.

Tommy had also bought her a gorgeous dress and Josephine lamented that it would be forever ruined by the memory of her meeting Luca Changretta. She didn't think she could wear something that she had worn to meet the man who had caused so much harm to her family.

It would be a while before the sick feeling she had about meeting Luca disappeared, even after the meeting. It felt dirty and it was almost as if she was betraying her family, despite the fact that everyone in the family understood and agreed with Tommy's plan.

Tommy who could clearly see that her mind was wandering, gently took her hand in his and gave it a squeeze,

"Hey, listen to me" With his other hand, he guided her face so that she was looking at him, "I know you're nervous but you have to trust me."

"I do trust you, it's Luca I don't trust" Josephine leaned into his hand, "I don't want to leave Teddy motherless."

Tommy wrapped her up in his arms, pressing a kiss to her head, "That won't happen.

Josephine tilted her head to look up at him, "I don't want him to be fatherless either."

"Hopefully, I'll kill him before he gets the chance."

A gunshot that rang loudly through the quiet streets of Small Heath interrupted their moment, causing them to flinch and moments later Tommy was racing out of the house, shouting back at her to stay in the house.

Josephine sighed as she took a seat at the dining table, the current situation left them constantly on edge with no moment of peace. Even the moments of peace were quickly dashed by something.

When Tommy returned, he immediately filled her in with what happened.

"Arthur finally agreed to not be the one who kills Changretta. He fired the bullet."

Josephine nodded in understanding, she knew that it was an important thing but her mind was too busy to really care.

"I've got to go to the office today but I want to spend some time with you before this evening," Tommy informed her as he shrugged on his blazer.

Josephine nodded and reached up to press a kiss to his cheek and as soon as they connected, crying came from upstairs.

"Da! Da!" Theodore cried out for his father.

A smile tugged at Josephine's lips, "I think you may have to stay home for a bit longer"

Tommy returned her smile before he made his way upstairs to his crying son. He returned moments later with Teddy on his hip, the little boy still had tears on his cheeks which Josephine wiped away with a soft coo.

"He still hasn't said mama" Josephine pouted.

Tommy couldn't help but laugh at her words, "He will soon, don't worry. He loves his mama the most."

He runs his finger underneath his son's chin, gaining a drool filled smile from the baby before he passes him over to Josephine.

"I'll see you later" Tommy gave both Josephine and Theodore a kiss on the cheek before he left.