Chapter Twenty-Four

Josephine pushed through the packed crowd that was currently taking over the Garrison, it was Friday night so it wasn't that surprising that everyone had swarmed to one of the most popular pubs in Small Heath after they had finished work, but the large crowd and the overwhelming heat made Josephine irritated as she tried to make it to the snug. Once she finally reached it, she sighed and stepped in, throwing her coat to the side and slipping into the seat next to Tommy. It was Michaels birthday so all the family, except Ada, were at the Garrison to celebrate.

"You alright?" She asked Tommy as she sat next to him.

"Yea. I'm going down to London tomorrow but I need you to stay here." Tommy said after he took a drag from his cigarette.

"Oh...okay, need me to do anything in specific?"

"Just some paperwork."

Josephine slowly nodded, not bothering to argue with him. She had been feeling some form of mild irritation and another feeling she couldn't place since May had visited the betting shop and she couldn't figure out why she was feeling like that but she knew fighting with Tommy would only make her irritation grow and despite how desperately she wanted to go back to London, she backed down.

"Well before you go, can you quickly pop round mine? I need you to give something to Ada for me."

"Yea sure." Tommy passed her a glass that had been sitting near his own glass of whiskey

"Gin and tonic" He explained after she raised an eyebrow.

Josephine took a sip and silently realised that the drink had already been there when walked in so Tommy must have ordered it specifically for her.

"Thank you." Tommy simply nodded

Tommy didn't speak after that so Josephine turned her attention to where John was passing Finn a glass of mild. Josephine eyed them from where she sat,

"Don't let him have too much John."

"Nahh he'll be alright, won't ya?" John reached over and ruffled Finn's hair, the teenager groaning and ducking away from his brother's hands.

The door opening prevented John from annoying his little brother any further. Everyone cheered and clapped as Michael and Polly walked in, wishing Michael a happy birthday.

"Eighteen years old. You're a man today. Give him a drink, John-boy." Arthur said, his loud voice booming across the small space of the snug.

John passed Michael a drink, grinning at the younger man.

"And after that, we will go and find you a lady of the night." Arthur smiled into his beer.

"Arthur!" Polly snapped at her nephew.

"He's only just turned eighteen Arthur, don't want him to have the clap just yet eh " Tommy said.

Polly turned her gaze at Tommy, pointing a threating finger at him, "Don't you start as well!"

"It's just a bit of banter Pol. It's alright" John explained.

The night continued in high spirits, lots of laughter and alcohol going around into the early hours of the morning, but Josephine tapped out way before that, leaving the Garrison before it struck midnight but not before having her own share of drinks.

Josephine stood outside the Garrison, looking through her purse to make sure she everything when the door to the Garrison swung open, letting out a brief stream of light and noise before it swung shut again. She didn't pay it any attention to it, just assuming someone just came out for a breather.

"Leaving already?"

Josephine whipped her head towards the door, not expecting Tommy.

"Oh Tommy, you scared me but yeah, not feeling the greatest so I'm going to head home."

Tommy was silent as he stared at her for a bit, Josephine wasn't disturbed by his stare knowing it just meant he was thinking about something.

"I'll walk you home." Tommy stepped closer to her to the point where Josephine could feel his body heat.

Josephine shook her head, "No no, it's alright. Go back to your family."

"They'll be fine for ten minutes, now c'mon." With a gentle push on her back, Tommy guided Josephine home.

"You've been acting weird for the past few days, what's wrong?" Tommy asked as they walked.

"Just some things on my mind. Sorry, didn't mean to worry you" Josephine kept quiet about her distaste for May.

"Things like what?"

"Nothing of importance. Don't worry."

Tommy pulled Josephine to a stop, pulling on her arm, "Josephine, tell me."

"What's your relationship with May?" Josephine blurted, and as soon as those words left her lips Josephine cursed herself, she had drunk too much. She wanted to run away but Tommy's grip on her arm prevented her from doing so.

"My relationship with May? Purely business. Why?" Tommy stepped closer to her, his eyes boring into hers.

"I-I...I-uh" Josephine tripped over her words, the alcohol was clouding her mind, not helping her already complicated thoughts about Tommy.

"Josey, you're the only one for me. Grace was a mistake but there have been no other women. It's been you and only been you. Remember what we said when we were young, it's you and me against the world."

Josephine was speechless and she was utterly lost in his eyes, the bright blue irises pulling her in.

Tommy slowly leaned in, giving her enough time to shove him or run away but she didn't, she allowed him to softly press his lips against hers. When Josephine didn't negatively respond to the kiss, he kissed her again, wrapping one of his arms around her waist and placing the other on her face and deepened the kiss. Tommy pressed Josephine up against the brick wall that was behind her and pressed up into her, his body moulding against hers.

Josephine kissed him with just as much enthusiasm, her hands gripping his shirt and pulling him closer to her. She didn't know how long they were stood there snogging only pulling away briefly to catch to their breath before going back to kissing.

It was only when the sound of footsteps and loud voices sounded like it coming in their direction did they fully part away from each other, looking at each other with wide eyes. Tommy looked over his shoulder to check who it was and Josephine took it as an opportunity run away. She ran the 2 minutes it took to get home and ignored Tommy's shouts and yell at her, pleading for her to stop.

Slamming the door behind her, Josephine slumped against it after making sure it was locked. She couldn't believe she had just done that, Tommy had given her plenty of chances to tell him to stop and to run away but she hadn't because she wanted it. She had wanted him. Sure she was mortified and embarrassed that she just spent however long kissing Tommy in streets like they were teens where anyone could see but she liked it. Josephine had to put her foot down, she couldn't let herself get tangled up with Tommy Shelby again, no matter how much she loved him.

A bit of a short one but I hope you enjoy :) And your answers have definitely helped me get an idea about what I'll do with the story so thanks a lot :)