Chapter Six

Thank you to the people who answered my a/n, it actually helped me a lot!  Also this chapter is not the greatest but I hopefully, I should have the next one out tomorrow

//

Tommy had stopped by the store that morning, handing Josephine a large box and shuffled her towards the back room after greeting her father.

"What's this?" Josephine asked, placing the large box on the table.

"Open it and see." Tommy grinned, excited for her reaction.

Opening the box, Josephine couldn't help but gasp, inside laid a baby blue coloured dress. "Oh, Tommy" she gasped, pulling the dress out of the box.

"Do you like it?" He asked.

"Of course, I bloody like it. I love it. What's it for?" She asked him, still admiring the dress.

"The races."

"Cheltenham?" she asked, her mood souring.

"Of course." Tommy sent her a look, no doubt seeing her mood shift. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing" she said, sending him a false smile before hurrying him out of the shop, giving him the excuse that she needed to help her father get the store ready.

Tommy had only left the store for a moment before her father spoke up, "Are you going to tell me what's wrong or am I going to go round and rough Tommy up?" Jonas asked, adding the last part hoping it would make Josephine laugh and smiling when it did.

Not wanting to lie to her father, Josephine told him the truth, "Maybe I'm just being over dramatic papa but you know what blonde barmaid at the garrison, the new one? Tommy asked her to the races. She told me, I don't know why though. That's why Tommy just came over, he just gifted me a dress, said he wanted me to wear it to the races. He'd just assumed I'd just I'll say yes and he hasn't even said anything about Grace." She spilled out.

"But you're going right, to the races?" He asked, after a moment of silence.

"Well, yeah."

"Ah, min blomma" Jonas sighed, walking around the counter and pulling Josephine into a hug, "I'm sure it's nothing, Tommy loves you a lot and that won't change." He told her, kissing her forehead before pulling back, "Now enough about that, I need you to make some humbugs."

Josephine smiled at her father, listening to his orders and appreciating his attempt of distracting her. Though she was quickly interrupted by Ada running into the store, dressed in a wedding dress and calling out her name,

"Ada, what the hell is happening?" She asked.

"I'm getting married to Freddie. Right now and I need you to be a witness." Ada quickly explained.

"Now?"

"Yes, now. So will you do it?"

Josephine didn't take long to answer her, she grabbed her coat, shouted a goodbye to her father and grabbed Ada's hand, leaving the shop and running to the church, giggling along with Ada. After the ceremony, she gave them each a hug,

"Don't worry about Tommy, I'll tell him." Josephine told them with a small smile, happy for them and after another set of hugs, she sent them on their way and made her way to Watery Lane, nerves building at the thought of telling Tommy.

Taking a seat at the kitchen table, Josephine poured herself a glass of whiskey, hoping it wouldn't settle her nerves, though they didn't have much time to settle as Tommy walked in not long after,