Chapter Twenty - Five

Josephine had stayed awake all night, her thoughts still racing along with her heart. She couldn't believe what she had done and she wished that she never came back home to Birmingham, she should have stayed in Sweden.

She didn't end up falling asleep until around five am and she slept right through to twelve o'clock and considering how late it was in the day, Josephine assumed that Tommy had already left for London and he hadn't stopped off for the thing she was meant to give to Ada but Josephine was grateful as she didn't want to encounter Tommy any time soon.

Deciding that she didn't want to do anything that day, Josephine took the day off of work and instead spent the day wrapped up in bed and finally wrote a letter to her father.

The next day Josephine got dressed and made her way to the betting den and tucked herself into Tommy's old office and got stuck into her work, slightly grateful for the distraction. She didn't know how long she was in there but a knock on the door followed by Esme slipping in with a cup of tea pulled her out of her head.

"Thank you." Josephine thanked the woman with a small smile.

Esme smiled back but she didn't leave immediately, instead, she hovered in front of the desk

"Is there something wrong?" Josephine asked.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"John told me about everything Tommy did to you a few years ago and no offence but why are you back?"

Josephine leant back on her chair, "I initially came back to help Ada and somehow I got dragged into being Tommy's assistant along the way."

"Don't you want to go back to Sweden?"

"I mean, I miss my father sure but Sweden was never home like Birmingham is. I have friends and people who are practically family here, and I love it here and I don't think I want to leave again."

Josephine and Esme continued talking, their conversation turning more casual and they began to get to know each other better, something that pleased Josephine greatly as now she had another friend to confide and talk to whilst she was in Birmingham and couldn't talk to Ada. Josephine had completely forgotten about her work and was laughing with Esme when Tommy suddenly stormed into the office, the door slamming against the wall scaring both the women.

"Esme, out." Tommy demanded

Josephine scowled, "Don't tell her what to do, Tommy."

Tommy ignored her, "Esme, out. Now."

Esme rolled her eyes but complied anyway, telling Josephine that they'll meet up at the Garrison after work.

Josephine waited until she was sure Esme had left before she turned on Tommy, absolutely furious. He was the last person she to see but she couldn't exactly escape.

"What is your problem? She didn't deserve to be talked to like that"

Tommy took a deep breath and pressed the palms of his hands against his eyes, "I can't- I can't stop thinking about the other night. Every time I close my eyes I see us kissing, it replays over and over again."

Josephine gaped at him, surprised at the confession, "Tommy, you've got to forget about it. The other night was a mistake and it will never happen again."

"It wasn't a mistake. Why can't you see how much I love you? We can get back together, and forget about everything that has happened."

"Tommy," Josephine was incredulous, "How many times do I have repeat myself? You don't seem to realise how much you actually hurt me and you keep on saying that you love me yet you still cheated on me in the first place. You still haven't apologized or shown actual remorse for your actions."