11

It wasn't long before our food arrived, and we set to eat

It wasn't long before our food arrived, and we set to eat. It was ofada rice and sauce, with meat assorted. I almost had a taste-bud-gasm. It was so nice, a huge emphasis on the 'so'. 

We were done in no time, but it was already late in the evening when we got out. Stepping out of the restaurant, my feet and palm were clammy. It was like they had no blood in them anymore. The air conditioned atmosphere, made the evening breeze come off as heat. I wanted to run back in and sleep there. "It's pretty late," I muttered, while Fareedah nodded as she began to make her way towards her car, causing me to follow suit. "My house isn't that far, you could crash there," she said as she opened the door of her car, sending me into confusion and causing me to frown. 

I got into her car gently, still frowning a bit. She had started the car, before she noticed my expression. "Oh sorry," she muttered as she turned back to the road. "I could drive you back to school I-" 

"Ah, no it's fine," I quickly cut her off, guilt immediately rushing over me. How was I expecting her to drive me back to school. But then, I could use public transport. 

She nodded, slipping into silence as she drove. 

Due to the small misunderstanding between us, the silence felt uncomfortable to me. "So, why don't you do 'friends'?" I asked her, air quoting and trying to kill the silence. 

She smiled. "When did I say I don't do 'friends'?" she asked me, adjusting a bit at the driver's seat as she kept her eyes on the road. 

I frowned, recalling how she had told me she didn't want to be my friend. And she also never hung around any one and even did as much as say 'Hi' to anyone. She was the perfect description of a lone wolf. "But you told me the third time I approached you. You…" I trailed, while she smiled. 

"I never said I didn't do friends," she told me, "I said that, and if I do remember clearly, that I wasn't or I'm not searching for friends." 

Remembering that's what she actually said, my mouth formed an 'o'. "True," I muttered, while she kept on smiling. "But I never see you hang around anyone, or you're always alone and don't even greet anyone." 

She chuckled. "Should I be bothered that you know that about me?" she asked. 

I suddenly felt embarrassed, feeling my cheeks heat up in a blush. "No," I mumbled, quickly looking away from her and out the window, at the road. 

The streets were well lit by roadside shops and kiosks. The road was also still so busy, like no one had noticed how late it was becoming, some business only opening at that point in time sef. I smiled to myself as I saw a group of people gathered about a suya joint. I really did love my country. 

Fareedah and I didn't talk again as she pulled at a black gate, horning. It didn't take up to a second before a young looking man opened the gate for us and she drove in. It was a single bungalow that was within the compound, like she had no neighbours.